1. Masood Hussain
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 11 November 2021 15:35 PM UTC

Migrated my system Witten in PowerBuilder 9.0 to PowerBuilder 2021 (latest). After migration everything seems working fine excepted for Arabic which is displaying as strange characters. Screens, reports and even data from database are displayed in non-readable characters.

I do understand community is going through lots of experience and can help fellow developers on new functionalities or the usage of a functionality without disturbing Appeon for small small issues faced by developer on daily basis. 

But my problem is different, PowerBuilder have large customer base in middle east and I am sure this must be a known problem to Appeon. Why Appeon is not addressing this problem directly.

Attachments (2)
Sohail Khan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 2 February 2022 13:47 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Dear Masood,

Solution to your problem exist and is available here

https://codeverge.com/sybase.powerbuilder.general/powerbuilder-10-fonts/1025056

"I changed the system settings to use arabic as local language and re started the whole migration. Now all datawindows display arabic text correctly. It seems if the system language settings is set to arabic, PB10 won't recognize arabic when migrating."

Sohail

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 12 November 2021 22:20 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

You are almost CERTAINLY experiencing a UNICODE vs ASCII issue.

PBv9 was ASCII, everything after v10 was UNICODE. Check the migration of the app, the database(s), the tools, objects, and anything else connected with the project to ensure that they are all UNICODE.

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 15 November 2021 04:57 AM UTC
Hi Olan,

"everything after v10 was UNICODE", not exactly: V10 already was Unicode too.

regards.
  1. Helpful
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Monday, 15 November 2021 15:52 PM UTC
Hey! Cut me some slack! :)

I couldn't remember if the UNICODE cutoff was at PBv9 or PBv10, but I did know that everything after PBv10 >>> was <<< UNICODE.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 15 November 2021 16:37 PM UTC
LOL, just trying to complete your useful information, not meant as criticism !

:)
  1. Helpful
Masood Hussain Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 11 November 2021 19:44 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

I really appreciate all who are trying to put their time and efforts. I am reaching towards deadline and need help. You may call at 1 (647) 975-6882, if you need more info.

Comment
  1. Thursday, 11 November 2021 19:36 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi John,

Appreciate your time and reply. I do understand, in last 20 years a lots of things has changed and so is the PowerBuilder. My system is fully operational and the client was happy with it till today. This year the monitory agency in KSA make it mandatory to print QR Code on their invoices. I tried in PowerBuilder 9.0 and failed to use for one little option i.e. selecting font and font size on object level in rich text. Revert back to Appeon, Appeon sales recommend me to buy developer license for new version. 

I am planning to do the same, downloaded evaluation version and have problems with Arabic fonts. For your information

1. Using Sybase SQL Anywhere 8 on the back
  2. Front end PowerBuilder 9.0, everything is fine except for QR code
  3. Got your point PowerBuilder changed from ANSI to Unicode

But I need my solution to work. Need straight and clear instruction as what should I do to fix the problem.

Comment
  1. Thursday, 11 November 2021 19:17 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hello Armeen Mazda @Appeon,

I am almost completing 40 years in IT industry, but never experience such problems after upgrading a tool. This was a common problem with Microsoft products or now with you guys. I cant understand where is my mistake as claimed by you

1. System In PB9.0 is working fine with my client and they are happy with it
  2. No upgrading the tools after 20 years, just to provide QR code on their invoices
  3. For One customer I am supposed to spend $ 1000 every year while I am not getting any revenue from my client
  4. To incorporate QR Code in my system which is written in PowerBuilder 9.0. QR code is not working in PB9.0 because of a small option (can't select font & font size dynamically in rich text). Is this my mistake.
  5. Now I want to buy a license which will solve my QR code issue but Arabic character set become a grave issue for me
  6. In the last 20 year you guys changed the base of the system, then how you think I can fix it without advise and support

Sir I can't tell my client that Please though away your investment just because I can't provide you QR code. Please stop blaming games and let me know what should I do in the regard.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 11 November 2021 19:55 PM UTC
#1 If PB 9.0 works great then stay with it.

#2 Don't understand your point.

#3 This is your business problem.

#4 QR code is not feature of PB 9 or even 2021 version. It is up to you to figure out how to implement. There are some code samples on CodeXchange: https://community.appeon.com/index.php/codeexchange/powerbuilder/284-qr-code-generator#341

#5 Arabic will work fine... we have many paying customers using Appeon versions of PB in middle east.

#6 We are happy to help but you have to pay for premium support, but I would first suggest you do the unicode conversion, which includes what Chris said about DB connection.
  1. Helpful
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 11 November 2021 16:51 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Greetings, Masood -

PB 9 was released by Sybase in 2003... almost 19 years ago. At that time, PB internally used ANSI (single-byte/character) characters and fonts. In 2004, PB 10.0 came out and the product underwent a MAJOR change to use Unicode (2 bytes/character) encoding internally. The example images you posted are indicative of an ANSI-to-Unicode issue. Had your application been migrated to any version of PB later than 9.0 in the last 17-18 years, you would have likely experienced the very same issue you're having now, at that time. My guess is that the majority of pre-version 10 PB applications were migrated to a Unicode version some time ago.

While Appeon provides this Community Q&A forum, it is not a full-service technical support site. Volunteers such as myself from around the world, along with several Appeon team members, attempt to help people get answers to their questions regarding Appeon products. If you have a question, then by all means, please ask it. Supply us with as much information regarding the issue and your environment (Appeon product version/release/build, database vendor/version, operating system, etc.) and we will try to help you find an answer to the best of our abilities. There are other avenues available to you (free bug support, paid support assistance provided by Appeon, or the services of independent consultants, for example) for technical support.

Best regards... John

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 11 November 2021 19:09 PM UTC
Adding to what John said, this "community" site is not a paid tech support service. If you want direct support from Appeon or timely response for an issue that is not product bug, then you need to buy a premium support ticket: https://www.appeon.com/premium-support.html

1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 11 November 2021 15:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

Why you automatically assume it is problem of Appeon product instead of your mistake?  PowerBuilder 10 and newer changed to unicode.  You need to modify your source code.  Anytime upgrading from really old version such as 9.0.... you need to carefully read the migration guide and expect to do some work!  https://docs.appeon.com/pb2021/upgrading_pb_apps/ch18.html

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 11 November 2021 16:30 PM UTC
In addition to Armeen's suggestion ... you might have to amend your DB Connection settings as PB 9.x would of expected an ANSI data stream from the DB Client whereas from PB 10.x & higher, it might now be returning a Unicode data stream (or vise versa - but PB is now UTF-16LE Unicode compliant). Please check your DB Parm settings on your SQLCA transaction object. Food for thought. HTH
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Masood Hussain
  2. Thursday, 11 November 2021 19:40 PM UTC
Hoping Change DB Connection will retrieve Arabic data from database in right format, what about screens and reports headers (both row and column)
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.