1. Giuliano Berlato Marques
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 10 November 2022 13:55 PM UTC

Hi all,

We are preparing for upgrading our legacy desktop application from PowerBuilder 2019 to 2022, but the exact same code that works upon compilation on 2019 simply does not run when compiled in 2022. No error messages, simply shows the "working" mouse cursor for some seconds, then nothing. Anybody had a similar issue? I'm running on the same computer that was used to compile so the runtime is not the issue.

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 12 November 2022 13:40 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Giuliano;

Just as an interest .... What happens if you run from the IDE & an EXE in 32bit mode. Does your App work OK then?

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  2. Saturday, 12 November 2022 16:13 PM UTC
From the IDE it works. And 32 bits it worked too! I'll try to deploy this on our Horizon test VM but I think this will be the solution.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 11 November 2022 18:39 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I think Mike might have a valid point: Anti-virus.

See what happens if you de-activate your antivirus, do a new build of the executable and then run it.

If it then works, it's your antivirus.

A few versions ago, (2017?), I made a very simple executable and it wouldn't run. No error messages.

It turned out that my antivirus (Avast) was silently modifying the EXE in such a way that it wouldn't run.

regards

Comment
  2. Friday, 11 November 2022 21:26 PM UTC
Unfortunatelly my company's policies block my access to disable MacAfee... I'll try to get someone from our Cyber Security dept to disable it for this test, but if that's the issue I think we'll be locked on 2019R3.
  1. Helpful 1
  1. mike S
  2. Saturday, 12 November 2022 03:36 AM UTC
signing it will make the anti-virus happy.
  1. Helpful
Sivaprakash BKR Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 11 November 2022 06:40 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Another thread for the same issue
https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/can-not-deply-migrated-appplication

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash

Comment
  2. Friday, 11 November 2022 21:14 PM UTC
It's unrealated, that thread says PowerBuilder closes when they try to deploy. I already deployed, the executable simply does not run.
  1. Helpful
  1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. Saturday, 12 November 2022 05:27 AM UTC
But a debugging method by Arthur Hefti could be tried

Hi

Start the application with /PBDEBUG from the command line. If the runtime is found the app generates a file called <appname>.dbg which contains information about the DLLs loaded and contains each line executed. The app terminates after the last line you find in the file.

HTH

Arthur

1. Helpful
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 10 November 2022 22:28 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Giuliano -

1) Create a new folder.
    Put the EXE and >>> ALL <<< of the runtime DLLs into the folder, even the ones you don't think you need. I mean ALL of them.
    Add the CML and INI files to the folder.

2) Double click the EXE.
    Either the app will run or you will get an error msg indicating what is missing.

3) If there is an environmental issue, signing, anti-virus, or something else altogether, you SHOULD get a message either as a popup or as an entry in the event log.

Once you get the app running you can start removing files from this test folder to determine the minimal set of runtime DLLs that are required.

Good Luck,

Olan

Comment
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 10 November 2022 19:22 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi, Giuliano - 

Make sure you are deploying all of the necessary runtime DLL's, as the number and names of these can change from release to release. Check the PB 2022 Help topic named "runtime files" for a list.

Also look for any runtime DLL's from earlier versions that may have gotten mixed with the ones deployed with the app.

Best regards, John

Comment
  1. John Fauss
  2. Thursday, 10 November 2022 20:49 PM UTC
OK. Did the bitness of the app change between versions (was 32, now 64)?
  1. Helpful
  2. Friday, 11 November 2022 16:14 PM UTC
No, it was already 64 in 2019R3.
  1. Helpful
  1. John Fauss
  2. Friday, 11 November 2022 16:29 PM UTC
Does the app interface with either the Windows API or third-party DLL's via local/global external function declarations (EFDs)?

The reason I ask is because PB 2022 is reportedly more particular about the PB datatypes used in an EFD. For example, an argument to a WinAPI function that contains a handle to a window and declared as a PB ULong may have worked fine in prior versions (even in a 64-bit app), but now this must now use the proper datatype of Longptr.

Another thing to try is to create a small, simple, single-window 64-bit test app and see if that will deploy and run correctly. If you don't wish to create a test app yourself, there are several small example applications in the CodeXchange section of the Appeon Community web site.
  1. Helpful 1
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 10 November 2022 19:17 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

did  you sign your application?  If not, anti-virus often prevents it from running.

Comment
  2. Thursday, 10 November 2022 19:19 PM UTC
Oh. I recall a popup about signing the first time I tried... I'll check how I do that. Never had to do it for 2019 R3.
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 10 November 2022 17:09 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Hi Giuliano;

If you are not running PB2019 R3, then you might have missed the fact that starting in R3, 2021 & now 2022 the project compile now generates a new <AppName>.XML file. This new XML file must be copied to the same folder where the PB App's EXE is also deployed. Note that if you do not install the PB runtime to the proper default folder on the deployment machine, then you will need to edit the <AppName>.XML file so that it reflects where the actual PB runtime is located.

If the above is OK, then have a look at your O/S's App Event log for a mini-dump log entry with more information about your failed App's startup.

HTH
Regards ... Chris

Comment
  2. Thursday, 10 November 2022 18:16 PM UTC
Yes, the XML is already there. Deleting it also gives a popup message. I'll check the event log and update this thread.
  1. Helpful
  2. Thursday, 10 November 2022 19:43 PM UTC
Event log shows this:

Faulting application name: eboss_sfe.exe, version: 4.0.2.0, time stamp: 0x6308b945

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2130, time stamp: 0xb5ced1c6

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000a3f52

Faulting process id: 0x44f4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d8f53c501343f9

Faulting application path: C:\Temp\_eBoss\@PB\eboss_sfe.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: f8c2fdd7-a2ad-413e-90ba-a1b0769520c2

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:
  1. Helpful
Andreas Mykonios Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 10 November 2022 14:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

Hi.

You mean it doesn't right from the IDE or when trying to run the executable? If it's the second case, have you deployed the appropriate runtime?

Andreas.

Comment
  2. Thursday, 10 November 2022 15:04 PM UTC
The executable, in the same computer used to compile so the runtime is not the problem. I just tried to run on a computer without the runtime and I got a messagebox warning about it. After installing the runtime, exe just don't open. Compiling with 2019 on same computers it runs as expected.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.