Free Generator of HTML Documentation from PBLs

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #458 by Dan Cooperstock
Dan Cooperstock created the code: Free Generator of HTML Documentation from PBLs
I was searching for an application to document my PBLs in a HTML website, by extracting comments etc. from my code, I ended up writing something, which I have attached, and offer for free for anyone's use.

It can document a single PBL, or all of the PBLs in a target (PBT).

It's not a completely standalone solution, as it requires the installation and use of the generic documentation generator NaturalDocs ( www.naturaldocs.org ).

What's in the Zip file is a PB 2021 workspace, target and PBL with my application in it, configuration files for NaturalDocs, and a fairly comprehensive Help file explaining the required setup and usage.

The generated documentation can be improved by writing your comments at the start of functions, events etc. in the style it expects, and for objects that don't contain code, supplying a Comment in the object's Properties. It's all explained in the Help.

I'm sure this doesn't do anywhere near as good a job as VisualExpert ( www.visual-expert.com/ ) but it's free! It was good enough for my purposes, which was helping a new PB hire to understand the common library used in our applications.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #467 by Dan Cooperstock
Dan Cooperstock replied the code: Free Generator of HTML Documentation from PBLs
Looks great Jim, thanks!

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #466 by Jim Reese
Jim Reese replied the code: Free Generator of HTML Documentation from PBLs
Thanks for posting this, I think it is terrific. I've been tinkering with it and I'll be posting an updated version when I'm done. Some of the modifications include:
  • An option to include the source code
  • Maintaining the formatting of the extracted datawindow SQL
  • Improving the readability of the datawindow SQL that is still using the SQL painter
  • Scanning existing comments for keywords that don't meet the formatting requirements and fixing them so they present properly in the final HTML
I'm including some sample images with some of these revisions.

Moderators: Appeon Administrator