Given that not everyone is fluent in using Git and or Github (where the Open Source PFC is hosted now), I put together a quick introduction in how to get started. The video below walks through the steps, which in summary are:
- Create a GitHub account if you don't already have one. https://github.com/join
- Navigate to the Open Source PFC and "Fork" a copy of the code into your account. The 2019 version of the PFC can be found at: https://github.com/OpenSourcePFCLibraries/2019
- Chose Code -> Clone and copy the HTTPS URL for your fork.
- Open the PowerBuilder 2019 IDE and with no workspace open select File -> Connect to Workspace.
- Source Control System: Choose Git
- Repository URL: Paste in the URL you copied above
- Workspace File: Give it any name you choose
- User ID: Your Github user id (normally your email address)
- Password: Your Github password
- Checkout Directory: Select or create a new empty subdirectory on your local machine for the code to be copied to
- Wait until the source code is downloaded and refreshed (12 to 15 minutes)
Now you're ready to start making changes. The process for doing that is:
- Make the change in your workspace
- Commit it to your local repository (using the PowerBuilder IDE)
- Push it to your fork in Github (using the PowerBuilder IDE)
- Create a Pull Request in your fork of the code in Github
The Pull Request sends the suggested change back to the main Open Source PFC project. It is then reviewed and if approved is then is merged into the main project.