1. Kaiser Nahiyan
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 12 July 2023 18:47 PM UTC

Our organization has been using Appeon Powerbuilder 2017 R3 and we are connecting to TFS though MSSCCI, we would now like to move the source control to Azure Devops.  Would love to know if this is possible with PB 2017 R3.  

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 12 July 2023 20:36 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Kasier;

As Roland explained, you would need to use the GIT version of TFS to connect to it directly from your PB IDE.

However, there have been numerous advances in GIT supported features in PB 2021 and PB 2022 - plus PB 2017 R3 hit's end of maintenance on "2023.07.31". So I would seriously think about updating to PB 2022 before using the Azure TFS or follow the suggestions from Roland using VS & PG.

Regards .. Chris

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 12 July 2023 20:18 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Under TFS the repository on the server could be TFS native or GIT format. The GIT functionality built into the PB IDE can connect to a TFS-GIT server. I'm going to guess DevOps works the same way.

We use Azure DevOps but don't bother connecting the PB IDE. I use Visual Studio to run GIT commands. Other developers use direct GIT tools or Tortoise, personal preference rules.

In PowerBuilder, we all manually import/export object in work libraries. When a change is ready, we export the objects from the work library to the local repository folder for the library the object belongs in. We then use our favorite tool to push/commit the change.

Overnight, PowerGen runs to build new PBL files with the latest changes. The first thing in the morning we run a .bat file that copies the latest PBL files from the server to our local workspace.

This might sound overly complex but it is actually easier. Our app has 80 libraries and almost 15,000 objects. If I had to edit objects in their home library, I would be wasting a lot of time hunting for objects.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.