1. Michael Connell
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 29 November 2019 11:40 AM UTC

When attempting to install PowerBuilder 2017 R3 I get the error Message "The installed version of the application could not be determined. The setup will now terminate".

I have PB 2017 R2 build 1769 installed.

Do I need to uninstall this Version before intalling R3?

Michael Connell Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 6 December 2019 13:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Michael K,

Thank you for your assistance.

As you suggested I uninstalled PB 2017 R2 and did a full install of R3 which seemed to do the trick.

Regards,

Mike C.

Comment
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Friday, 6 December 2019 16:31 PM UTC
Happy to hear. Myself, I have to reinstall both PB 2017 R3 and PB 2019 -- short circuit blew out my old laptop. New laptop arrived. Takes a few days to get everything back to square one incl. O/S, Office, and a bunch of developer tools.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  1. Friday, 6 December 2019 08:57 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Michael K.

Thanks for your response. Apologies for the delay replying, but I'm only at this particular job once a week.

I have backed up my PB.ini file as suggested, but did not find any registry entry for Appeon PowerBuilder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

I did however find entries for Sysbase Powerbuilder / PowerBuilder .NET:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder .NET

Could this be the Source of the problem and if so should I delete these entries?

Mike C.

Comment
  1. Friday, 29 November 2019 14:50 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Michael,

I just have PB 2017 (R2) installed.

However I haven't installed the subsequent MR.

Could that be the problem?

Regards,

Michael C.

Comment
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Friday, 29 November 2019 15:23 PM UTC
It really shouldn't. I have had similar issue before - not PB but other apps. I most often try to run full installer instead of upgrade when such is possible. Easier than uninstall - which anyways requires you do full install afterwards.

- - -

I wonder if regional settings could fool installer. I switch between US, Danish, Dutch, Swiss, German, and Hungarian - back and forth - so often I have no clue what my regional settings were at install time many months ago.

1. Helpful
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Friday, 29 November 2019 15:24 PM UTC
BEFORE - Full install - Save your PB.INI in case you have user settings you want to re-establish (e.g. custom colors). Likewise export from registry the Appeon > PowerBuilder node for HKEY_CURRENTUSER.
  1. Helpful
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 29 November 2019 14:42 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Michael C., do you have both PB 2017 and PB 2019 installed? Which of them is first in PATH ?

I presume installer is looking into an .EXE or a registry entry having unexpected version info because R3 should just be an upgrade to R2. If update fails you may consider download installer for a full install instead of for an update.

HTH /Michael K.

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.