1. Arthur Hefti
  2. Beta Testing
  3. Monday, 18 March 2019 06:44 AM UTC

Hi 

can I start working with PB2019 Beta 2 and switch to the GA version before the Beta 2 expires?. 

Thanks
Arthur

Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 18 March 2019 12:55 PM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 1

I believe the answer is yes. The license is by user on annual subscription so you are allowed to use any version that comes out while your licence is valid. The down side is that if you stop your subscription a few years down the road, you won't be able to use any of the versions you have installed.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 18 March 2019 13:32 PM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 2

Hi Arthur;

Appeon does not recommend or warrant using any beta software for production use.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Monday, 18 March 2019 14:33 PM UTC
I don't think that is his intent. I got the impression that he wanted to start developing real web components now and not have to pause for a few months until GA.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 18 March 2019 18:55 PM UTC
Hi Roland;

That would not be a problem as long as any PB developer wanted to keep their work in the "development" only environment. The issue might be if the next build changes some aspects how how the C# .Net Assembly or C# Web API is built internally. So some retrofitting of the beta#2 code "may" be necessary. If Arthur (or any other PB2019 developers for that matter) are willing to accept this possibility, then please proceed (cautiously).

The PB2019 Beta license is probably tied to your subscription renewal date (mine seems to be). So I suspect that you can use beta2 until your current license expires, a beta#3 is released and/or GA (TBD at this time).

HTH

Regards ... Chris

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Monday, 18 March 2019 21:00 PM UTC
Chris is right that doing real development with beta versions has such risk. But in the case of this PB 2019 beta 2 in particular, I don't see any changes from Appeon product engineering side that would cause such problem.

1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 18 March 2019 18:44 PM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 3

Chris is exactly right that we do not recommend using beta versions in production use.

But Roland is also right that if your goal is just to get head start on coding until PB 2019 comes out then that is not a problem. 

When the beta ends we will remove the download, but what you have already downloaded and installed you can continue to use.

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Tuesday, 19 November 2019 07:59 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

FYI

"same" RTE features not completely. The "selectedText()" bug existing on 2017 has been fixed on 2019 and broken on 2019 R2 beta.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 19 November 2019 08:25 AM UTC
Hi Miguel, Have you opened a support ticket for R2 beta. We will fix my final release of R2.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 19 November 2019 18:32 PM UTC
Hi Miguel;

FWIW: Yes, 2019R2 preview "beta" has a few issues with my framework too (or should I say vise versa - LOL). Turns out that its a PB regression bug. So I am not surprised that you might be seeing a few of these in the early beta(s) - like the SelectText(). As Armeen suggests ... please open a support ticket for these. Many thanks in advance!

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
Julie Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 19 November 2019 06:01 AM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 4

Well... I have one thing to clarify on top of what Armeen said.

Actually, the DW Converter and PowerScript Migrator features in the Beta will stop functioning after December 31, 2019.  We’ve enforced a hard-coded license control in SnapDevelop, so two features will be disabled after the date. 

Best regards, Julie 

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 19 November 2019 06:46 AM UTC
Will there be another beta to replace the current beta so people can continue working/testing beyond December 31st?
  1. Helpful
  1. Julie Jiang @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 19 November 2019 07:01 AM UTC
Yes we plan to have a customer beta open for all current customers. The customer beta will come out early next January. So people back from Chrismas and New Year holidays can switch to the customer beta after a small rest.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.