1. Jeff Gibson
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 1 September 2021 15:09 PM UTC

I'm needing some clarification with an environment configuration.

Working with a team that has roughly 34 PowerBuilder licenses.  They are in the process of moving from TFS over to Git.

They just sent out a working document on installing and configuring Git on each machine.  This will allow SQL Server objects to be pushed up into certain repositories.

My question is that I thought I remembered there being a discussion that if PowerBuilder was already on the machine, that installing your own sandboxed copy of Git could possibly cause problems with the Git installation that comes with PowerBuilder 2019 R3?

Anybody ran into this?  Should we be pointing Tortoise Git over to the Git copy installed in PowerBuilder, or is it OK for us to have a separate copy of Git installed to handle objects outside of the PowerBuilder environment?

Thanks!

Jeff Gibson
Exonero Solutions

Jeff Gibson Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 1 September 2021 16:37 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Thanks Armeen. 

I was under the impression that when PowerBuilder gets installed it installed a small footprint installation of Git that PowerBuilder used to in order to integrate with Git.

Jeff Gibosn
Exonero Solutions

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 1 September 2021 19:14 PM UTC
You're welcome. No, we don't install Git.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 1 September 2021 16:23 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Jeff,

PowerBuilder does not install Git server or client.

For the Git client, you must use Tortoise Git.  For the server, you can basically use any Git implementation.

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.