1. Juan Pedro Sanz Diez
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 11 June 2019 08:39 AM UTC

Hello,

My name is Juan Pedro. We have installed the Appeon Powerbuilder 2019 Build 2082. We have realized that in the new version the computed field in the datawindow's sort are loosing.

I mean:

Appeon Powerbuilder 2017

1.- Add a field (F) in a datawindow
2.- Add Computed field (CF) in a datawindow.
3.- Go to rows -> sort and select F and CF for the second. OK and close.
4.- Go to rows -> sort and both F and CF are there.
5.- Save datawindow
6.- Go to rows -> sort and both F and CF are there.
7.- close datawindow
8.- Open datawindow
9.- Go to rows -> sort and both F and CF are there.

Appeon Powerbuilder 2019

1.- Add a field (F) in a datawindow
2.- Add Computed field (CF) in a datawindow.
3.- Go to rows -> sort and select F and CF for the second. OK and close.
4.- Go to rows -> sort and both F and CF are there.
5.- Save datawindow
6.- Go to rows -> sort and both F and CF are there.
7.- Close datawindow
8.- Open datawindow
9.- Go to rows -> sort and the CF ISN'T there.
10.- Close datawindow
11.- Edit Source Datawindow -> and the CF is There, in the sort. OK
12.- Open datawindow
13.- Go to rows -> sort and the CF ISN'T there.
14.- Save datawindow
15.- Edit Source Datawindow -> and the CF ISN'T There, in the sort, any more.

Comments:

1) If the computed field is alone in the sort, it works.
2) All fields behind a lost computed field , are loosing too, computed and not compute. Only not computed fields before the computed field are keeping.

Two problems:

1.- At runtime, it doesn't work, althought in edit source the field is in the sort.
2.- At maintenance, if we save any datawindow, computed fields are loosing, for ever.

Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 2 November 2019 05:28 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Not trying to be negative, but I think we've spotted an improvement point here:

I know, we're all developers and we all make mistakes. But ...

Appeon has had problems in the beginning with expressions in sort columns, right? 

So whatever they "fixed", should have been tested well, but no ... the fix(er) still has broken something else.

I'm looking at Appeon's QA team here or maybe I'm wrong and the QA team reported it and it just didn't get fixed, or maybe some Git source controlled merge went wrong... Who knows. 

Things like this just don't give me a very good feeling. The sort() is not something new, so I don't even understand how it got broken in the first place. I wonder how well expressions behave in "groups" of a datawindow, maybe I should go and do some testing.

My manager didn't allow me to migrate to 2019 and stay on 2017 for our next release.

At first I wasn't happy, but lately I thank him for that like twice a week it seems.

kind regards

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Saturday, 2 November 2019 05:31 AM UTC
(I'm tempted, but I'll resist doing a bug report requesting a fix for the QA team.)
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Gordon Weil Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 1 November 2019 17:39 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Any word on this?

According to the latest response on Bug 2844 it should be fixed in the next MR, which was projected to be ready before November.

It's November 1 and the sort problem is causing major failures in my test plan. So, very interested in getting the new MR.

Comment
Preben Hansen Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 23 August 2019 07:43 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Thanks Juan for reporting and documenting this issue so well!

I believe we are many waiting for a fix of this issue. It prevents us from upgrading to PB2019 as well.

@Appeon: Please provide a date for the MR with the fix of this issue. Two months have passed now since it was first reported.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

Preben

Comment
  1. Andy Preman
  2. Wednesday, 28 August 2019 17:34 PM UTC
We have also been waiting for the fix. I don't know how anyone can upgrade to 2019 without this error being corrected. We had to scrap plans of upgrading and testing over the summer because of this issue.

Is there an estimated date for the MR?

Thank You

Andy
  1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 26 June 2019 21:01 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Is this a case of the DW Painter messing up the syntax?

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 26 June 2019 19:47 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Andy;

Engineering has said that this is one of their top fixes and they hope to have it included in the next Maintenance Release (MR). Please note that I do not have as of yet ... a solid confirmation for this ticket's fix or an exact date of the MR at this time.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 28 August 2019 17:46 PM UTC
Hi Andy;

Our Appeon QA team just started testing the MR's for PowerBuilder and PowerServer this week. I do not have an exact release date yet but I expect early September (if everything goes well regression testing wise).

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Sunday, 3 November 2019 03:05 AM UTC
And yet .. now is early November and no news.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 4 November 2019 15:49 PM UTC
The MR's for PB in September were for PB Universal and were only targeted for PowerServer. The next MR specific to PB itself (an InfoMaker as well) in now scheduled to be released in Q4 of this year. Stay tuned for more MR news soon.
  1. Helpful
Andy Preman Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 26 June 2019 19:37 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Chris,

This is a major issue for me as well.  We are in the middle of upgrading to 2019 and ran into the same computed field  sort problem.  Any idea when this will be resolved.

Thanks,

Andy.

Comment
Govinda Lopez @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 12 June 2019 14:29 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

Hi Juan,

Please try using the SetSort() method of the DW. Plus, try the following:

In your DataWindow source, try removing leading and trailing spaces of the column names that are inside the parenthesis. 

For example, change from:

sort="abs( col_1 ) D"

to:

sort="abs(col_1) D"

Do let us know if this worked for you. If not, then yes, please open a support ticket for this case.

Regards,

Comment
  1. Juan Pedro Sanz Diez
  2. Thursday, 13 June 2019 07:17 AM UTC
Well, I'will begin with the second workarround.

1.) We actually don't use an expresión but a computed field.

2.) We tried to change the computed field by the correspondent expresion, but when we run the aplication, the execution fails and it gets out of the program. I think that it can be because we have a very long expresion.

That is:

IF( epigrafe = 'A1', 'A.1.-Derivadas del consumo de combustibles fósiles',

IF( epigrafe = 'A2', 'A.2.-Emisiones fugitivas (Derivadas de las recargas de sistemas de refrigeración)',

IF( epigrafe = 'B1', 'B.1.-Derivadas del consumo eléctrico',

IF( epigrafe = 'B2', 'B.2.-Derivadas de la gestión de residuos generados',

IF( epigrafe = 'B3', 'B.3.-Derivadas del consumo de agua potable','No Definido'))))) + ': ' + string(sum( cantidad_co2 for group 4 ),'#,##0.00000') + ' ' + c02_unidad

Problems:

1) The second point above.

2) As we said in the main exposition, all computed, not computed, expresion below any computed field or expresion is loosing, next time you save the datawindow.

The first workarround.

We tried it, and this is which we have been using with new datawindows since we found the problem. In this end, the problem is if we save any datawindow with this type of sorts in mantenace issues, and we don't be aware.

I think this is a very critical missing funtionalit, and for this cause we opened the ticket 2844. They are keeping me informed.

Thanks for your advise.

Regards.
  1. Helpful
David Peace (Powersoft) Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 11 June 2019 16:09 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 8

Hi Juan

That's a very clear case example of your problem, I suggest you raise a support ticket for Appeon to look at it.

Cheers

David

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 12 June 2019 19:13 PM UTC
Hi Juan .. FYI: we reproduced your issue from our Appeon side on that ticket.
  1. Helpful
  1. Heiko Betzler
  2. Monday, 21 October 2019 08:50 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

is there a solution (PB BugFix Version) for this bug? We have migrated 2 months ago from PB2017 to PB2019. We have already released this version to our customers.

One of our customers has now reported this error. We have lot's of datawindows with computed fields in the sort clause.

What can we do on the fast?

Best regards

Heiko
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 21 October 2019 19:38 PM UTC
Hi Heiko;

I was just reading where this issue will be fixed in PB2019 R2. From what I have read, this fix will also be included in the PB2019MR. No exact dates yet from Engineering on these releases. Although R2 should go Beta sometime in December (AFAIK).

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.