1. Kwadwo Boahene
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Sunday, 14 June 2020 19:22 PM UTC

I converted an app from 32 (PowerBuilder 2017 R2) to 64 bit using PowerBuilder 2019 R2. The SMTP connection works for the 32 bit but not for the 64 bit. I have scanned through here and seen suggestions to use PBNISMTP sample code. I tired compiling the app to see if  I can get working but that is failing. Is there another to get this working for the 64 bit version of PB 2019 R2? The 32 bit version comes from the emailsmtp sample code.

Thanks,

Kwadwo

John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 15 June 2020 03:20 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Greetings, Kwadwo -

The PB IDE (and I presume, the PB compiler) run as 32-bit processes; therefore, they can interface only with other 32-bit DLL's (a PBX is actually a renamed DLL that has prescribed interfaces). When compiled for 64-bit, the app must then have access to the 64-bit version of the PBX at execution time. You cannot use the 32-bit version of the PBX when executing the 64-bit version of your application. This is not a PB limitation... This is how Windows is designed to work with 64-bit applications.

Also, calling some Windows API functions in 64-bit requires utilizing different data types in certain cases (memory addresses and Windows handles, primarily) and possibly also in structures passed in/out of Windows API functions. If you are using a free code sample from Roland Smith's TopWizProgramming.com web site, his examples take these kind of differences into account.

HTH, John

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.