1. Gergely Szollosi
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 30 June 2020 09:39 AM UTC

Hello,

I'm trying to install Powerbuilder 2017 silently onto Windows 2016, however I can see the pre-requisite is SQLAnywhere2017.

Installing PB manually I can decide NOT to install SQLAnywhere, so wondering what's the reason behind this being required for silent/unattended installation?

I'd like to automate PB installation, but this requirement iscausing me a lot of problem as SQLAnywhere 2017 cannot be installed silently if I want to have only the developer/evaluation license.

Is there a way to install Powerbuilder 2017 silently without SQLAnywhere? Or is there a workaround?

Julie Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 1 July 2020 05:51 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Gergo/Chris, 

Actually the current silent installation can be performed directly without installing SQL Anywhere. When the installer comes to the question, "Do you want to continue the installation without specifying a valid SQL Anywhere engine?", it will directly fill the answer "YES", and continue to the next step. The installation will be completed without installing the demo application and demo database.  

Best regards, Julie

Comment
  1. Gergely Szollosi
  2. Wednesday, 1 July 2020 09:10 AM UTC
Hi Julie,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The purpose of silent/unattended installation is to not to be prompted with any GUI. I'm aware that during normal, manual installation I can opt out installing SQLAnywhere, but haven't found a way to install it automatically without SQLAnywhere.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Thanks,

Gergo
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 1 July 2020 15:00 PM UTC
Hi Julie;

Thank you for that update. I looked through the "silent install" documentation but could not find that information. Looks like we could use an update in this area to make it clearer as to that default.

Gergo: please try the silent install and confirm that it completes OK without SA being installed.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Julie Jiang @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 2 July 2020 00:49 AM UTC
The silent installation won't be prompted with any GUI even if you do not have SA installed. The following lines will automatically be written in the Command Prompt window, and the installation can continue by itself.

[Error:] The SQL Anywhere engine location is not specified or invalid.

Do you want to continue the installation without specifying a valid SQL Anywhere engine? :YES

@Gergo, please have a try and let us know if you still see any issue.

@Chris, yes we will add this detail into the documentation page https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r2/installation_guide_for_pb/Installing_in_Silent_Mode.html#d0e1418.

Best regards, Julie

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 30 June 2020 15:28 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Gergely;

Unfortunately, the "silent" install is still basically the way Sybase last left it. Because the silent install assumes that you want to use the "demo" Apps and Database, it defaults to requiring SQL Anywhere. There does  not seem to be a setting to avoid this in the current silent install procedure.

Please open a support ticket as an enhancement request for the silent install to be changed to control the need for the SA DBMS and also the Demo Apps.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Gergely Szollosi
  2. Tuesday, 30 June 2020 16:29 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

Thank you very much getting back to me on this.

Surprised to hear this - how other people installing Powerbuilder? I'd be amazed if I'm the only one who wants to automate this process.

Is there a way to make the Powerbuilder silent installation "believe" that SQLAnywhere does exist? Like adding in some dummy files/registry keys/etc. Just want to find a workaround for this.

Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting this to be an official answer, but some little trick to get around this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Gergo
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 30 June 2020 17:41 PM UTC
Hi Gergo ... not that I am aware of currently.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.