1. Lawrence Anderson
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 19 August 2019 13:49 PM UTC

I have an existing project that I moved into source control and have been managing from the built in source control in the PowerBuilder IDE. My diff tool is TortoiseGit 2.6. When I inherited the existing project there were extra files and folder in the folder containing all my PBLs. I'm using Bitbucket if that matters.

I would like to clean some of those extra files out, but noticed the Powerbuilder IDE isn't picking up the change when I go to commit, but if I do a diff on the folder directly using TortoiseGit, it detects that some files were removed as well as with my .PBR and .usr.opt files. I was wondering what steps I need to take to get the files properly removed and get the project up to date in the IDE. I was figuring, commit with TortoiseGit and then pull via the PB IDE.

I'm a little skittish with how to keep everything up to date after having made the mistake of not doing the "Upload PBL" step for the first couple weeks and then doing a proof of concept clone and finding out it wasn't up to date.

Accepted Answer
Tom Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 20 August 2019 04:59 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Deleting directly in the Windows Explorer won't be tracked by source control. You can instead use the TortoiseGit context menu in Windows Explorer to delete your extra files as shown below:

Comment
  1. Lawrence Anderson
  2. Tuesday, 20 August 2019 13:11 PM UTC
I just did so, but trying to commit through the PowerBuilder IDE, it is showing no changes when trying to commit and will not allow me to submit a commit.
  1. Helpful
  1. Tom Jiang @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 22 August 2019 01:38 AM UTC
PB IDE only tracks the objects visible in the system tree. You can either commit this special change from TortoiseGit or make some change to one of the PB objects and commit it, which will also commit the change of the external files.
  1. Helpful
  1. Lawrence Anderson
  2. Friday, 23 August 2019 15:49 PM UTC
That worked. The IDE won't show the change or allow you to commit just it, but when you TortoiseGit > Delete ahead of a change to powerbuilder objects, the deletion will reflect in the repository in the next push.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.

There are replies in this question but you are not allowed to view the replies from this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.