1. OIT Maine
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 11 October 2018 20:15 PM UTC

I was not able to connect to power builder 2017 R3 to an Oracle 12CR2 database. It says 'ORA:28040: No matching authentication protocol'. Should i have to worry about installing a 64-bit version of power builder 2017R3 as well as 64 bit Oracle client? If so is there a 64-bit version of 2017R3 available? I suspect it's a power builder issue. Can anyone suggest me a work around for this?

Environment:

Operating system     : Windows 10

Powerbuilder version: 2017 R3 32-bit

Database                : Oracle 12CR2-32 bit

Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 12 October 2018 14:48 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I don't use Oracle but when I looked up the error number it appears that maybe the Oracle Client you are using is not compatible with the server.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 11 October 2018 20:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

The Oracle Client and the PowerBuilder IDE or Application must be of the same bitness.

The PowerBuilder IDE is a 32bit application so you will need the 32bit Oracle Client. If you plan on creating a 64bit exe of your application, you will also need the 64bit version of Oracle Client.

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 11 October 2018 20:55 PM UTC
FYI: If you also plan on building PowerServer Web and/or Mobile Apps - you'll need the 64 bit Oracle driver. However, the PowerServer Toolkit will require the 32 bit Oracle driver.
  1. Helpful
OIT Maine Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 12 October 2018 13:18 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

I installed 32 power builder-bit application and 32-bit oracle client. Yet i still find this issue. 

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Monday, 15 October 2018 13:27 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi,

Finally i was able to install much more latest client version and finally made the power builder connect to the Oracle 12C database. But when i run the application it again throws me this error: "Unable to Connect to the Database: DB Error Code: 28001 DB Error Message: ORA-28001: the password has expired". But i was able to login through the database using SQL developer. I wonder if this is a power builder issue or a Database issue?

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 15 October 2018 17:00 PM UTC
If you can connect from the PB IDE - then your EXE's should also work the same. Check the DB settings in the DB Profile Painter (especially, its SQLCA preview area) and make sure that your App's are using the same settings & syntax in the SQLCA fields.
  1. Helpful
  1. Wednesday, 17 October 2018 13:11 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Chris and Roland,

As per your suggestion i cross checked the DB settings and added "PBdialog = 1" in the .ini file which prompted for change of password.  But now i came across some different error again.

This time it says "Unable to Set Role for User. DB Error Code: 1979 DB Error Message: ORA-01979: missing or invalid password for role APPLICATION_USER' ".

Do you think it is due to 12C upgrade? I never seen this when i connected to 11G database.

Thanks,

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 17 October 2018 14:29 PM UTC
Sounds like a configuration setting that needs to be done in the O12c DB. I would suggest checking on this with your Oracle DBA.
  1. Helpful
  1. OIT Maine
  2. Thursday, 18 October 2018 14:57 PM UTC
Will do. Thankyou Chris..
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.