1. Zhang JX
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 12 April 2021 09:59 AM UTC

Hi all,

On my CloudApp deployed to Powerserver2021 Beta preview, when lunched App and access it after few minutes, the App throw out "System Error: The session does not exist at line xx in function...". please refer to the attachment.

is there any setting could let the session never expire/time-out? or at least set to 0.5/1 hour?

Thank you 

Regards, 

JX

Attachments (1)
Accepted Answer
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 12 April 2021 10:59 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi,

Have you tried with "ConnectionLifetime" in the Connection-cache.json file? I'm not sure if that's only to do with 'pooling' but I think it's worth a try.

Connection Lifetime

Specify the lifetime period for the pooled connection.

To be specific, you can specify the timeout period from the time a connection is created to the time when the connection returns to the pool. If the actual lifetime of a connection exceeds that specified in Connection Lifetime, the connection will be terminated. It is recommended to be used in cluster configuration when forcing the load balancing between a running server and a server just brought online.

If the value is set to 0, the pooled connection allows the maximum connection timeout.

Also, if you are on Oracle, there's a setting in sqlnet.ora (on the server) to avoid connections being closed:
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=1
This parameter tells the DB to check the session after one minute which in turn causes traffic to be generated through the firewall and stops it misjudging sessions as dead.

Maybe for different databases there are similar settings.

Regards

Comment
  1. Zhang JX
  2. Tuesday, 13 April 2021 01:05 AM UTC
Thanks Miguel,

We are using Azure SQL(in DTU plan), should not be SQL expire_time matter since we never hit such issue when running from client/server application(same project) - even idle for more than 1 hour - we use disconnect/re-connect coding whenever running a new main windows.

Will try "dummy select" in idle() event.

Best Regards,

JX
  1. Helpful
  1. Zhang JX
  2. Tuesday, 13 April 2021 03:58 AM UTC
Hi Miguel,

"Dummy select" works well - idle(120) which solved this issue.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

JX
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Tuesday, 13 April 2021 05:11 AM UTC
Yw glad it works!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 12 April 2021 14:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi JX, 

Not sure if it is feasible, but ideally you should work with Appeon support team to reproduce this issue so we can verify it is not a bug.  I don’t think it is, but just to be safe since you are using early beta version.

I don’t recommend making the timeouts longer than default because they are already too generous.  If I am right this s not a bug, you should optimize your code.

Code that is long running is going to cause scalability problems when you really run the app live for multiple users.  So my guess is you still have lots of problems ahead of you  besides this timeout error.

It might be good idea to involve one of our consulting partners to help you do this cloud conversion,

Best regards,

Armeen

Comment
  1. Zhang JX
  2. Tuesday, 13 April 2021 00:59 AM UTC
Hi Armeen,

Thanks for your suggestion.

To clarify, nothing to do with coding performance, in this case, I lunched the App, discussed something else with my colleague over the phone - guess took around 7-10 minutes - and hit this error message when trying to view a report from the App.

Guess it is related to session idle timeout issue.

Best regards

JX
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 13 April 2021 01:37 AM UTC
The session should not time out if it is just idle for 10 minutes. The default value is set as 60 minutes. I think it is best you open a support ticket and you help our team to reproduce so we can fix this. I have not heard other customers running into this issue, so it will be important you help our team to reproduce. Thanks.
  1. Helpful
  1. Zhang JX
  2. Tuesday, 13 April 2021 04:00 AM UTC
Hi Armeen,

ok, I will submit a support ticket per advised.

Temporary "dummy select" with idle(120) solved my issue.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

JX
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.