1. Patrice Domange
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 3 February 2021 14:57 PM UTC

I'm currently testing PowerClient with Pb2019r3.

It seems to work fine as a "Self-service" deployment tool, but I was wondering if there is a way to "push" the initial version of an application in order to avoid each end user to install it for the first time by using the browser ?

Furthermore, I would also know if it possible to use PowerClient with Citrix ?

Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 3 February 2021 18:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Patrice,

I understand your question.  What you can do is have your IT admin pre-install the "Launcher" program using the .MSI that we provide.  Then you've eliminated the need for the user to install something.  As long as the "Launcher" program is pre-installed, all user needs to do is click the URL for your app and the app will start without user having to do any more steps.

Yes, PowerClient can be used with Citrix.  We actually have quite a few customers that have many Citrix servers and find it headache to keep those Citrix servers updated with newer versions of their PowerBuilder apps.  So PowerClient solves this problem too.

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 3 February 2021 17:49 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Patrice;

Currently, PC is of a "Pull" only design. However, if you install the PC App on a given machine and then create a (for example) InstallShield of that client app - in theory - you could then push that out to any user machines as a "pre-install". Then when the user starts the app from the short-cut, the PC (Cloud App Launcher) would just need to check if there was a newer version. Note though that I have not tested this in any actual environment. It's just my initial thoughts on if it "might" be possible.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Patrice Domange Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 February 2021 14:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hello Armeen,
Thanks for the prompt answer to my question !

But I have an additional question about initial deployment on Citrix/Windows Servers + end users 's pc.
Is the following the good approach ? 

1. Push the Cloud App Luncher (.msi)

2. Push a copy of the PowerClient application's shortcut to deploy.

Then at this stage, the user has only to click on the shortcut, and if necessary, the application will be automatically updated, right ?

Regards,

Patrice.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 4 February 2021 15:28 PM UTC
Yes, it is good approach for your system admin to pre-install the Cloud App Launcher .MSI for all users so that the users don't really need to do anything.

As far as preinstalling shortcut, the .MSI doesn't do that for you. You would need to have your system admin create the shortcut and the shortcut should be pointing to the URL of your app, for example https://www.company.com/appname/manual.html or auto.html. You use manual.html if the .MSI you installed is without background service and you use auto.html if the .MSI you installed is with a background service.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.