1. Gerry Whitmarsh
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 25 October 2017 09:29 AM UTC

Hi,

Background: About a year ago we were having tremendous problems with Fatal Disk Errors within our terminal server based application (PB 12.6) after upgrading to MS Server 2012 R2. After days of trouble-shooting we found the only solution was to install the application locally on the terminal server. So far this has worked fine. Unfortunately, we are now, as the number of users is increasing, running into performance issues and are thinking of adding another server for load-balancing. As we now have the application installed locally, this presents a problem as installing on two servers is not really an option (maintenance nightmare). Now for the actual question. As we are now on Powerbuilder 2017, is the new runtime sufficiently improved to be able to go back to installing the application on the core server, and is anyone having any problems with Powerbuilder 2017 in a TS environment with Server 2012 R2?

TIA for any advice,
Gerry.

George Mikhailovsky Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 25 October 2017 20:33 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Gerry,

I can confirm that PB 2017 on Server 2012 R2 and my application that I migrated to this PB version of this server works fine, and its performance has been definitely improved.

HTH,

George

Comment
  1. Gerry Whitmarsh
  2. Thursday, 26 October 2017 07:48 AM UTC
Thank you.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Govinda Lopez @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 25 October 2017 16:37 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Gerry,

I have worked too with installations of PB on Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2 and currently 2016. We haven't had any of these issues. Roland's suggestion is very good. I would also consider SSD's for better performance.

Regards,

Comment
  1. Gerry Whitmarsh
  2. Wednesday, 25 October 2017 17:00 PM UTC
Hi Govinda, thanks for the reply.

As I replied to Roland, we are now contemplating a dedicated server for the app. Hopefully that will address any issues.

Regards.

1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 25 October 2017 14:08 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Fatal Disk Error occurs when the PBVM is unable to load an object from one of the PBD files. It is usually caused by a momentary drop of the network share.

At a previous company I worked at, the network drive we had the PB app on had reliability issues which caused Fatal Disk Errors and sometimes extended drops of the share requiring the user to log out and back in.

I moved the runtimes/PB app files to a share on the database server and all was good after that.

The moral of the story is that the runtime & app files need to be on a server that has a fairly light i/o use so that you can guarentee 100% up time for the share.

Comment
  1. Gerry Whitmarsh
  2. Wednesday, 25 October 2017 16:57 PM UTC
Hi Roland, thanks foe the reply.

We tried everything. The app files were on a share on the db server and that was the problem. It turned out that shares were the problem. Drive mappings of UNC paths made no difference. Moving the app to local fixed the problem. Thinking now of a dedicated server just for the app.

1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.