1. David Sowray
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 14 September 2022 08:05 AM UTC

When trying to start an application built in PB2022/b1878 using PowerClient, we are consistently getting a download error 206 message (image attached).

If we click on the Retry button, the failed udo.zip file is then successfully downloaded and the application runs as normal.

For each build, it's always the same udo.zip file which fails to download, which implies it's not a network problem or something similar. If we rebuild the application with slightly different settings, we have the same problem that a file will fail to download, but the failing source PBL and udo.zip file are usually different, which implies it's not anything particular to this object or PBL.

Looking at the logs for IIS, a GET command for the relevant udo.zip file isn't received at the time of the error message. The first GET command is received only when the Retry button is clicked.

We have tried this on two separate servers running IIS. Both show the same behaviour.

A test version of the application was compiled using PB2021/b1506 and installed on one of the same IIS servers. That worked without problem.

Is there perhaps a setting we're overlooking, or does anybody have a workaround?

Many thanks,
David

Attachments (1)
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 September 2022 20:28 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi David;

FWIW: I have never seen this error message before or have I seen a support ticket about this from another customer in the past. Very strange!

Please open a support ticket for this issue. Thanks.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
David Sowray Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 September 2022 21:02 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Many thanks for the response, Chris - it's much appreciated.

I'm going to have another go to get this working in the next couple of days. If we make any progress, I'll post an update. If not, we'll hopefully have some useful data we can use for a support ticket.

Regards,
David

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 14 September 2022 21:44 PM UTC
Hi David;

FWIW: I have also discovered an issue with my STD Framework and related PS Apps in PB2022 GA.

If you select "Download all files at app startup" a large ZIP file is produced. However, the Unzip fails (different error code than yours though) .. However, they might be related. I'll keep looking into this further. I think that my issue is I am now using the latest W10 / W11 releases along with the latest Windows Defender AV that somehow blocking the unzip. Maybe in your case blocking the download.

The workaround for me is to select "download files as needed". That bypasses the big ZIP file and the PS Apps then work OK that way.

=> However, I would now recommend opening a support ticket for this issue. <=

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
David Sowray Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 15 September 2022 08:32 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Well for us, changing to "Download all files at app startup" appears to have cured the problem.

It's not our preferred setting because we have users half the world away for whom we'd like to keep the startup as short as possible, but for now it appears to be a workaround.

I'm thinking it's less likely to be a virus checker or firewall preventing specific files, because they generally either block something or not. They don't generally intercept a file, then allow it through a few seconds later because the user has clicked "Retry". However, I'm wondering if there may be a DDoS filter between the client and server. If the CloudAppLauncher is making multiple requests in a short time span, a DDoS filter could be being triggered, which may then be reset during the pause while the user clicks "Retry". I've checked our IIS instances, and the <denyByRequestRate> attribute isn't enabled, but something similar could be lurking elsewhere in our network.

I've put in a request to find out whether that's the case. I'll wait for a response before filing a support ticket and posting back here. If we're filtering out requests from the WebAppLauncher, that's our problem rather than Appeon's.

Thanks again for all the help, Chris.

Regards,
David

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 15 September 2022 15:46 PM UTC
Hi David;

FYI: I just opened up ticket # 8989 on my similar issue to yours where changing the download app files options. My scenario is the reverse to yours though where the "download all files" option causes the App to come down as one ZIP file and then the CAL tries to Unzip it but the latest Windows defender blocks it. This happens on W10 & W11 latest versions as I think (guess) that Microsoft has tightened the handling of downloaded web server Zip file processing. So my workaround was to revert back to "download as needed" which negates the one large zip file and allows the CAL to process the PS App start-up OK.

So, let's see what Engineering says on these PS 2022 App start issues.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful 1
Kai Zhao @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 19 September 2022 08:10 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi David,

We are analyzing this problem, but since we didn’t reproduce error 206 on our machines, can you help us with any of the following 3 analysis solutions?
1. When the error 206 message pops up, don’t click on any button, go straight to the download directory at %appdata%\PBApps\Applications\Appname\, check the file size of the zip file that fails to be downloaded, and compare it with the corresponding *wrapper.pbd/n_* wrapper.ndo.zip file at, for example, C:\inetpub\wwwroot\int1087_0304_2\1.01\ on the web server and see if the file sizes are the same.

2. Our developer has created a signed DLL file that can log the problem information when you run the problematic App when it’s placed in a specified directory. Can we provide this DLL for you to put in your machine?

3. Would it be possible for you to let us remotely access the problematic machine to debug the problem?

Regards,
Kai

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Kai Zhao @Appeon
  2. Monday, 19 September 2022 08:18 AM UTC
To better keep track of this problem, please open a support ticket in the support portal below, many thanks in advance.

https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/.
  1. Helpful
  1. David Sowray
  2. Monday, 19 September 2022 12:54 PM UTC
Many thanks Kai.

I've created a support ticket and replied to your request there.

Kind regards,

David
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.