1. Simone Olianti
  2. Beta Testing
  3. Thursday, 7 November 2019 09:45 AM UTC

Hello everyone, i am testing the pb2019 r2 beta new features. In particular i am trying the enhanced ui themes and it's working like a charm. Configure theme settings for individual objects is exactly what i was looking for, but i wonder if there is a way to apply a particular theme to a window object and all its descendants by inheritance.
I would like to apply a theme to all windows except those inherited by a particular window object which have, for example, a different background color.
Do i have to configure in the theme-[xxxx].json every single window object to apply the different background color? is there a way to configure only their ancestor in a way that all its descendants get the same theme settings?

tia,

simone

theme-json:

{
    "meta-info":
    {
        "version":"190"
    },

"window":
    {
        "drawing":true,
        "background-color":"#FFFFFF",

theme-searchwin.json: I have several objects inherited from w_search_main, should i configure them all?

{
    "meta-info":
    {
        "version":"190"
    },

"w_search_main":
    {
        "drawing":true,
        "background-color":"#FBF166",

Accepted Answer
Julie Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 8 November 2019 06:13 AM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # Permalink

Hi Simone and Michael,

Your suggestions are appreciated. I will pass this request with high priority to the engineering team for their assessment.

Best regards, Julie

Comment
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Friday, 8 November 2019 06:35 AM UTC
Thanks Julie!

To Simone > See! Appeon does listen to what we discuss and do take action based on customer feedback. It may still prove technically too difficult and way too costly but for now collective interest sparked this action. This is what I like about Appeon being the vendor of PowerBuilder these days. Appeon listens because Appeon cares.
  1. Helpful
  1. Simone Olianti
  2. Friday, 8 November 2019 07:36 AM UTC
Amazing. this is probably the best community i've ever been part of! Appeon is like a big family, love this.
  1. Helpful
  1. Julie Jiang @Appeon
  2. Friday, 8 November 2019 07:44 AM UTC
Thanks Michael and Simone for your kind words! We'll do our best.

Best regards, Julie
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 7 November 2019 11:03 AM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 1

Hi Simone,

I fully agree that PB 2019 R2 adds the granular theming that we all need in oh so many apps.

Unfortunately, UI themes are not inherited through PB class inheritance. It may evolve in the future but that requires enough developers supporting product enhancements in that direction.

So: -- IF -- you have 20 buttons across 20 windows inherit from cb_most_important_button -- AND -- you want to style these 20 buttons in a special but identical way -- THEN -- you have to define that identical theme 20 times -- END.

I personally would like UI themes to inherit from the PB classes in use. That sort of UI inheritance is very unique to PB. No other commonly used language/tool has that type of UI inheritance - as far as I know.

This woyld require theme settings to be available per visual user object incl. custom visual user object.

TO :: Every reader -- Q: Would you like PB inheritance of visual classes to inform UI theming?

HTH /Michael

Comment
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Thursday, 7 November 2019 20:21 PM UTC
I asked for this early on but it didn't make scope for R2. Community's explicit interest I'm sure feeds into Appeon's cost/benefit analysis and future scope decisions.
  1. Helpful
  1. John Fauss
  2. Friday, 8 November 2019 02:24 AM UTC
I agree that inheritance is going to be necessary in order for themes to become truly practical, at least in the world I develop for.

Michael - I have a question unrelated to this topic that I'd like to take offline with you. Would you please drop me a line at jfauss-at-cox-dot-net?
  1. Helpful
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Friday, 8 November 2019 02:38 AM UTC
Sent you a message. No need for me that your address remains here if you want to protect it.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.