1. Glenn Barber
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Sunday, 13 August 2017 20:43 PM UTC

HI - our PB 12.6 app is currently running on SQL Anywhere V16 and we are considering a move to PostGresql or MariaDB for the future with PB2017

Can anyone comment on usability and stability of PB2017 with MariaDB or PostgreSQL?

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 14 August 2017 12:48 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Glenn;

Neither MariaSQL or PostgreSQL are directly supported by PowerBuilder 2017 at this time. You can use middleware like ODBC to connect to these DBMS however, you will probably then need to manually tweak the PBODB170.ini file settings accordingly to align with your ODBC driver choice.

FYI: See PostgreSQL thread 

Regards ... Chris

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Gerry Whitmarsh Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 14 August 2017 14:34 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi,

I have been using MySQL with ODBC for years now. It also works flawlessly with PB 2017. No “tweaking” of PBODB170.ini either.

Good luck,

Gerry.

Comment
  1. David Peace (Powersoft)
  2. Tuesday, 15 August 2017 13:24 PM UTC
Indeed we have use MYSQL with PB out the box. I wonder what the driving force is to use these other DBs.

If you are looking for a free BD, then you have MS Sql Express, Oracle Free version (although they are withdrawing that I think), MYSQL. All of which are going to work with PB.

1. Helpful
Daniel Vivier Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 15 August 2017 17:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

I was able to quite easily port my PB apps from Firebird SQL to PostgreSQL.

However, I'm seeing from a couple of sources now a preference for MySQL over PostgreSQL. Does anyone else have comments about that? Thanks.

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.