1. Brad Mettee
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 19 June 2019 14:30 PM UTC

Is there any way to have the IDEs for PB2017 and PB2019 open at the same time on the same machine?

We will be maintaining code in PB2017, but need to migrate/test in PB2019, so copying code changes between versions will be a normal occurrence for a while. We've done this with PB12.5 and PB2017 with no problem in the past.

An offline license can't be used on diff versions, and the online license tells me I'm already signed in when I try to open other version. Is there any way to do this?

mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 7 July 2019 14:08 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

can you just build in 2019 rather than open up the 2019 ide?

Comment
  1. Mariano Collado @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 9 July 2019 19:05 PM UTC
Yes, you can use the Standalone compiler (PBC), which can be installed on any machine, and does not require a license. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iUgJWM44WI&feature=youtu.be

Be default you will find it under: C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\PowerBuilder 19.0\AutoCompiler
  1. Helpful
  1. mike S
  2. Tuesday, 9 July 2019 20:41 PM UTC
i believe that you can also use powergen with no license if your app doesn't work well with the standalone compiler
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 6 July 2019 12:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hey Georgios,

I agree this is annoying but still - I can see how this happens having written license check software myself. I'm less sure this is just a small fix. Hard to know.

So I accepted added cost of extra Cloud license was worth the value of having both open simultaneously.

I still favor Appeon's approach to product development (new release every 6-9 months or so) over SAP's "legacy" approach. Getting MVP features like UI themes quickly. Then let developer feedback govern how the feature evolves.

/Michael

Comment
  1. Georgios Papageorgiou
  2. Saturday, 6 July 2019 15:45 PM UTC
well - I can for sure open several 2017 :) - so if it was machine id checking everything would go smooooooooth ;)
  1. Helpful
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Saturday, 6 July 2019 17:09 PM UTC
Solution => Migrate all source to PB 2019 ASAP.

Then you only need that IDE open.

This issue is specific to the period where you are migrating from one version to another.

It only impacts having IDE versions open in parallel.

And it is purely a discussion of license cost vs. ease of IDE switching for developer.

No bug for developers nor end-users.

I like Appeon moving on this tough I'd prioritize bug fixes any day.
  1. Helpful
  1. Georgios Papageorgiou
  2. Sunday, 7 July 2019 14:58 PM UTC
Arg - that not simple

only in a perfect world could you switch overnight... Can't go that gunslinger way

- and I'm use nobody is advising this...

I'm not saying it's a bug - Just saying it's a big PITA

And it will last for several months - and that could hurt....

And Michael - saying you SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM - by buying a new version

- Come on - That is pure BS ....!!

I should like to hear from Appeon on this..

/g

1. Helpful
Georgios Papageorgiou Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 6 July 2019 09:24 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Powersphere.

This ULTRA annoying behavior - is killing our movement to 2019

- PLEASE APPEON !!!! 

You say you are also developers - but I guess you just have 2 licenses  

It should be at small "fix" .- REALLY CANT WAIT UNTIL 2019R2

Regards

Georgios

Comment
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 19 June 2019 22:07 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Brad,

I solved this particular issue by assigning different account alias to license for PB 2017 R3 and PB 2019 respectively. Which unfortunately means I count two license seats - which is additional cost.

I lose "working in the zone" when I need to close;open at each IDE switch. The total time to switch IDE is just too long when mentally switching back and forth in the exact same code just because the IDE is a different PB version.

"Total IDE switch time" being:

1. Close IDE, Save all changes (even without check-in/commit), and return the license
    - and -
  2. Open IDE, obtain license again, open workspace incl. painters, and waiting for version control to resync

So I accepted the extra cost because the value surpasses the cost.

HTH /Michael

Comment
  1. Brad Mettee
  2. Thursday, 20 June 2019 00:44 AM UTC
Spending extra money to keep two open at the same time isn't really an option for us.

For now, I'll have to logout of 2017 before opening 2019. It's a pain, but I can get by with it for a while.
  1. Helpful
  1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. Saturday, 13 July 2019 07:04 AM UTC
Michael,

When PB 2021 gets released, and one wants to open all the three PBs (2017, 2019, 2021) simultaneously, should one opt for 3 licenses ? Could not say all might have migrated all applications... that we still maintain applications developed in PB 6.5.
  1. Helpful
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Saturday, 13 July 2019 10:13 AM UTC
My suggestions is nothing but a workaround to speed up IDE switching. I opted for two licenses because my benefit was greater than cost during this particular migration project.

Since Appeon includes feature requests in its product planning I'm certain this will be improved - just not sure when. More PB customers raising same issue impacts priority.

Often, my diff tool compares checked-in fix in one PB version while I do same fix in another PB version. This requires just one IDE open at a time so no license counting issues at all.
  1. Helpful
Mariano Collado @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 19 June 2019 17:07 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Brad,

It is currently not possible to have both, an IDE of PowerBuilder 2017 and an IDE of PowerBuilder 2019 open on the same machine at the same time with a single license.

This is a tentative policy change that may be implemented on the release of PowerBuilder 2019 R2.

In the meantime, you can hop back and forth between IDE's by turning on Auto-Login/Out functionality, as explained here: https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/can-2017-r2-2019-both-be-installed

Comment
  1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. Thursday, 20 June 2019 07:43 AM UTC
Don't know why Appeon decided this way. It's a kill, which we never experienced with earlier Powerbuilder. Good if it's changed in the upcoming release. By subscribing, we pay for both versions. And why an additional license ?
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.