1. Stan Zihlman
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 16 September 2021 13:24 PM UTC

A test user gets the following message when executing my distributed application.

Here are my steps:

• Upgraded my PB IDE to 2019R3 from 2019R2.
  • Built my application exe for distribution.
  • Distributed the new exe to a test user who has a 2019R2 distribution environment.
  • I did not distribute any new 2019R3 DDL’s.
  • Does the error mean the 2019R3 is incompatible  with 2019R2 at the DLL level?

Thanks,

Stan Zihlman

Attachments (1)
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 16 September 2021 14:37 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Stan;

Note that with R3, you must now deploy the new <AppName>.XML file that the IDE project generates with your new EXE. Both the XML file and EXE must also be deployed into the same deployment machine's folder.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. mike S
  2. Thursday, 16 September 2021 15:48 PM UTC
you don't need to deploy the xml file.

installers ask you to decide what folder to put the application in, so that 'requirement' would be a major bug.

you can either put the application and runtime in the same folder, or have the runtime in the system path, or use the xml file.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Andreas Mykonios Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 16 September 2021 13:52 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Yes.

You should distribute PB 2019 R3 dll's to run an executable built with R3 and R2 dll's to run an executable built using R2. Also have in mind that in PB 2019 R3 all runtime files are not indicating the version of pb in their names. This was an enhancement related to decoupling ide from runtime and supporting different versions of the runtime (but only R3 runtimes - this is not available for previous releases). After that change pbvm190.dll is now renamed to pbvm.dll and is located to a different location than in previous versions. Example, in my computer I do have the following runtimes installed:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 19.2.0.2670
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 19.2.0.2703
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 19.2.0.2728

When I work in an application through the IDE, I can choose wihch runtime to use to deploy my application.

Attention, this is a global setting, it will affect the IDE, so it means from the moment you change that value you have to restart the IDE, and from that point it will use the selected runtime version.

When building an exe you have to deploy that specific runtime for your application.

You can evaluate powerclient feature in pb 2019 r3 to make that work easier.

Andreas.

Comment
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 16 September 2021 13:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

you need to run with the same build version of dlls as what the ide is using.

you must install the 19R3 dlls on the users's machine to run your app

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.