1. Steen Jakobsen
  2. Beta Testing
  3. Thursday, 29 April 2021 06:46 AM UTC

Hi ,

Does the PB 2021 include other enhancements than the PowerServer support ?

Back in the Sybase days Sybase invested SO MUCH in all kinds of java and EA server related stuff for PB. It was a complete failure from a-z and almost nobody ever set anything in production. People were crying their eyes out to get relevant enhancements - relevant to real world apps, NOT a java dream world :-) 

I really really hope Appeon is not making the same mistake here.

Thank you

//Steen

Christophe Dufourmantelle Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 3 May 2021 07:35 AM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 1

Hi Steen,

I also believe that Appeon has done a better job than Sybase at selecting relevant features, delivering them on time and in a stable state, and supporting them in a reactive way.

As for PowerServer, I can tell it’s not a dream world. We’re working with government agencies & large organizations currently using it in production to deploy mission critical applications.

We expect major improvements from the new 2021 implementation, and we have no reason to doubt Appeon will make it as stable as the previous one.

Given the magnitude of this new feature, it makes sense to have a dedicated PB release to ensure tight integration. This will avoid a half-baked solution, like the ones you were referring to in the Sybase days.

Christophe

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Sivaprakash BKR Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 30 April 2021 13:45 PM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 2

Hi All,

I'm really tempted to participate in this thread, with my feelings and thoughts about Appeon and  PB.   

1.  What we got in short span of time [ a C# editor, Web API, REST API Client, Docker deployment to mention a [very] few.

2.  The level of QC that Appeon does, really admirable.  They take bugs seriously and are trying to solve it asap in their development.  They really try hard to release versions without any bugs, imo.

3.  They do have a road map published and are hearing their customers. Every mail to product@appeon.com is replied.  Don't know which other company release such roadmap for the next couple of years / versions.

4.  Powerserver is one of their products to convert client server applications to cloud easily.  I think it's not a must product.   We have PowerClient and other methods / tools which enables us to do the same cloud computing without Powerserver.   With this 2021 release they are synchronizing their products to deliver a better products in future.  Am I right ?  

5.  The CEO is directly participating in user community forums.  Where else this happens ?

Well list will go on....   In short Appeon's work is commendable.  

Only thing I expect from appeon is to fix some of the old [sybase's] legacy bugs sooner.  Many are still pending that we can view it in support forum.  I think these will get resolved with the introduction of newer ide they plan in 2022.. and some features that's still pending like in PDF enhancement, a DLL / utility to send emails, full featured TX Text control [ it's there we need more API's], an Excel import / export feature [ one cannot ignore excel now a days]....   Sure these will make users to think that Client/server is still alive in Appeon's mind [imo].

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash

Comment
  1. Andreas Mykonios
  2. Friday, 30 April 2021 15:27 PM UTC
Well powerserver is different than powerclient. It takes care of db connectivity, and also the data layer of your application. Powerclient on the other size takes care of your executable and all that is needed for your application to run.

I'm not sure how many companies/people will really go with powerserver. I guess that Appeon did the market reasearch as Armeen says. The main issue that I see with that solution, is that we still need windows to run our application. But I've tested it to a small application and I can say that it runs well.

Andreas.
  1. Helpful
  1. Steen Jakobsen
  2. Saturday, 1 May 2021 05:17 AM UTC
I use OLE automation for import/export of excel it works fine however requires excel to be installed. But I do agree that a native solution would be great.

//Steen
  1. Helpful
  1. Sivaprakash BKR
  2. Monday, 3 May 2021 06:05 AM UTC
Andreas,

I think the result of Appeon's research would have given them the trend towards Cloud. And Appeon has came out with a PS which serves the purpose good, and for enterprise customers. And I feel Appeon's focus is big enterprises where they are in a urge to sell more licenses and make [good] money. I agree that PS doesn't fit the bill of smaller companies.
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 29 April 2021 06:55 AM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 3

Yes, you are correct that PowerServer 2021 is the only notable new feature in PowerBuilder 2021... but this is huge.  We have been doing PowerServer for almost 20 years, and completely revamped this version based on all we learned over the years.  

Try it before you knock it, and please don’t compare us to Sybase!  By now I hope we have proven we don’t operate like Sybase! 

Also, you can check the PowerBuilder roadmap page to understand what other new features coming in PowerBuilder 2022.  We have a quite a bit planned for enhancing the PowerBuilder IDE itself.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 29 April 2021 15:04 PM UTC
Here is the roadmap page: https://www.appeon.com/developers/roadmap
  1. Helpful
  1. Steen Jakobsen
  2. Friday, 30 April 2021 07:02 AM UTC
Thanks Armeen. I can understand the nerve :-)

And again - I'm one of your biggest fans and I do think Appeon has delivered and exceeded everyone's expectation. Well done - and I'm happy to renew our 2 PB cloud-pro subscriptions every year ever since PB 2017 - that tells it all.

//Steen
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 30 April 2021 14:40 PM UTC
Thanks Steen!
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.