1. Arnaud Bailly
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 25 March 2020 16:38 PM UTC

I am working on a large-ish codebase containing about 20 libraries. This codebase is currently in PB2017 but we want to migrate it to PB2019R2 in order to benefit from enhanced REST/HTTP support. I have successfully migrated it 2 months ago and started some promising development work on a separate branch, merging from main trunk on a regular basis. 

All of sudden, starting Friday we failed to compile the application using either PB environment or command-line pbc2019. We have been trying a lot of different things for the past 3 days but to no avail: Compilation fails and the compiler crashes always in the same place (eg. some resource that's part of the library containing the application program). 

I don't know what to do at this stage as PB does not give me any kind of information on why it is failing. 

What can I do to investigate that issue? This is critical for us as we are rolling-out new developments and we desparately need that migration to happen.

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 25 March 2020 18:20 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Arnaud;

FYI: The current PB 2019 R2 is still only beta at this time and as such, should not be used for any production code migration. Only for beta testing (aka throw away) until GA is released. Please stay with your PB 2017 R3 production release for now.

Update: The PB 2019 R2 GA release for production use is almost ready. Thus far this week at Appeon, we have no red flags from the QA Team. However, QA testing is still on going.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 25 March 2020 22:55 PM UTC
Hi Arnaud ... Whew ... That's better.

I would now suggest:

1) Optimize all your Apps PBLs.

2) Perform a full build

3) Restart the IDE

4) Retry a project deployment.

If the above fails ...

5) Build a new Project

6) Try to deploy from the new project.

HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Arnaud Bailly
  2. Thursday, 26 March 2020 10:26 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

So here is what I did to solve the issue:

- use an orcascript to refresh target and generate PBLs from sources without compiling

- open PB2019

- for each menu, do a regenerate

- optimise each library

- tryign to deploy again raises an issue with 'The current library list is different from the library list contained within this project. The project library list has been updated. Refresh build options for the changed list and try again.''

- saved the open painter for project

- done deploy and it finally worked!!

Thanks for your help.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 26 March 2020 15:34 PM UTC
That is great news Arnaud! :-)
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.