1. John Niespodzianski
  2. Beta Testing
  3. Friday, 9 October 2020 21:18 PM UTC

Hello, I apologize if this was asked/answered (I didn't find it with a quick search).

With the new PB 2019 beta, what runtime files need to be deployed, and where are they by default?

I know the IDE was separated from the runtime, and that's likely part of the issue here.  I can see files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 19.2.0.2556, but instead of the expected PBVM190.dll (for example), I see PBVM.dll.

What I need to know is if I build a test app with the new beta, and deploy the EXE to another machine - what beta DLLs need to be deployed with it?  Will the version # be permanently dropped from future DLLs?

Thanks!

John

Philippe BUCAILLE Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 6 November 2020 09:30 AM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 1

Hello,

I had the same problem. I got a "There is currently no matching version" error window when launching the application.
After research, add the new libglog.dll file to the package. This file is absolutely not described in the documentation.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
John Niespodzianski Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 9 October 2020 21:47 PM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 2

Thanks Chris - I did see that in the Help, but the renaming wasn't clear so I didn't want to make a bad assumption.

When I try deploying a beta-built app, I get "There is currently no matching version" error popup.  I am guessing that's due to a mismatch of runtime - haven't seen that message before.

John

Comment
  1. John Niespodzianski
  2. Tuesday, 13 October 2020 19:58 PM UTC
Thanks Armeen - I actually watched that Webinar live. I planned on going back and rewatching.

I tried using PowerClient prior to the webinar; when I deployed to IIS (actual server, not localhost) I didn't have any control on where it went. I had trouble getting it to download from the location.

Is there any step-by-step guide yet for PowerClient? Bruce Armstrong usually puts together wonderful walkthroughs; figured it was in the pipeline so I was waiting for that. Thanks!
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 13 October 2020 21:00 PM UTC
Yes, in the final release there will be more detailed documentation. Also, in the final release there will be some enhancements compared to beta, such as you can specify the download location.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 9 November 2020 21:17 PM UTC
Hi John;

Please watch the "PowerClient" session in the upcoming Elevate 2020 conference for more detailed information. HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 9 October 2020 21:32 PM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 3

Hi John;

All the required runtime DLL's and their proper names for R3 deployment are located in the PB Help. Just search for the keyword "runtime" and select the "list of runtime files" link from there.

Also, you can just run the PB Packager utility for R3 and have it build you an MSI with the R3 runtime ready to install on your deployment machine(s) as well.

Yes, the runtime DLL's are no longer PBXXXnnn.dll. The "nnn" has been dropped.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 13 October 2020 18:42 PM UTC
Hi Roland;

As a quick test, rename ...

c:\program files (x86)\appeon\common\PowerBuilder\runtime 19.2.0.2556 // to

c:\program files (x86)\appeon\common\PowerBuilder\runtime 19.2.0.2556_XX

Now try and run the R3 beta IDE. It will probably not be able to start.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. John Murphy
  2. Friday, 2 April 2021 16:33 PM UTC
I just did this for the first time and the .xml from the build had \common\ but the runtime installer used \shared\. I changed the XML to match and it worked fine.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 2 April 2021 17:04 PM UTC
Hi John;

There is now a ticket open on the PB Packager utility. Not only does it not point the install to the wrong (old Shared folder), it doesn't allow you to pick the PB Runtime that you really need. It only assumes the release (build) number and ignores the PB IDE settings. :-(

So the only workaround for now is what you did or override the install PB runtime location to match the where the XML file thinks it is.

We still have the build number issue though in the PB Packager.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.