1. Sudheer bollapalli
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 10 October 2019 15:32 PM UTC

We have migrated our application to PB 2017 R3.

Application (exe) is working fine on window 7, but its crashing on window 10 1709 while calling OpenWithParm(). Its 32-bit application.

Same code is working fine when I ran the application from PB IDE on windows 10 1709 machine. 

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 10 October 2019 16:27 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Sudheer;

FWIW:  What you could be getting is a slight change in the MS-Windows "event" (ie: O/S Message) firing order in W10 vs W7. Try checking where the opening Window is trying to grab the Parm(s) being passed. It may now be too early or too late in the opening (construction) sequence.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 11 October 2019 12:18 PM UTC
Didn't Dan Cooperstock have something similar happening?
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 11 October 2019 16:35 PM UTC
I believe so
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Sudheer bollapalli Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 10 October 2019 16:26 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Thanks David for reverting

we are passing:

li_status = OpenWithParm (lw_window, astr_option, astr_option.s_controlstr, This)

astr_option.s_controlstr - child window object name

lw_window- w_master  (child window is derived from w_master)

This - points to w_frame objects.

This code is being executed from w_frame object.

Application is crashing while calling pfc_postopen event of opening window.

This issue is occurring across the application where we are creating child window by calling openwithparm function.

When we run the application from IDE installed on windows 10 1709, its working fine. After building the application and when I try to run the exe file, its crashing.

Comment
  1. Sudheer bollapalli
  2. Monday, 14 October 2019 11:01 AM UTC
Hi Chris, David,

Now, the problem seems to have gone.

we need to do regression testing of the application by running on both windows 7 and windows 10.

Solution:

NO code changes.

As part of deployment, we were creating machine code (dll's) earlier as we used to do earlier.

Now, I have deployed the application with pcode (pbd) option. And, it's worked. I have tested it on windows 10 and need to test on windows 7.

Will close the request once the complete testing is done.

Thank you
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 14 October 2019 13:51 PM UTC
Excellent news. I suspect the issue might have also have come from needing a Full build.
  1. Helpful
  1. Sudheer bollapalli
  2. Tuesday, 15 October 2019 04:57 AM UTC
Don't think full build was the issue. I have been doing full build to add debug messages (Messagebox) to trace the issue.

Reason why I thought of going by pbd files is when I ran the application from IDE (on windows 10) its working fine. So, decided to try this option and it worked. so far. Not sure what other issues might arise :-( hoping none ..

1. Helpful
David Peace (Powersoft) Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 10 October 2019 15:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi

What are you passing in the openiwth parm? Are you sure that it is this that is causing the crash? Have you tried adding messageboxes to see at what point in the opening window that the crash occurs?

Finally what is the error message?

Cheers

David

Comment
  1. Sudheer bollapalli
  2. Thursday, 10 October 2019 16:28 PM UTC
Thanks David for reverting

we are passing:

li_status = OpenWithParm (lw_window, astr_option, astr_option.s_controlstr, This)

astr_option.s_controlstr - child window object name

lw_window- w_master (child window is derived from w_master)

This - points to w_frame objects.

This code is being executed from w_frame object.

Application is crashing while calling pfc_postopen event of opening window.

This issue is occurring across the application where we are creating child window by calling openwithparm function.

When we run the application from IDE installed on windows 10 1709, its working fine. After building the application and when I try to run the exe file, its crashing

1. Helpful
  1. Sudheer bollapalli
  2. Thursday, 10 October 2019 16:36 PM UTC
no error message at the end.. its just crashes. When I ran the application in debug mode its crashed while calling postevent() ..
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.