1. Konstantin Goldobin
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 1 April 2019 12:31 PM UTC

Hello,

I'm installing PB2017R3 on Windows 10 64 bit where PB12.5 has been installed with SQLAnywere 12 64 bit. However, when the installer comes to the step about SQLAnywhere, it does not list the installed engine and I don't see any way of selecting "the location of SQL Anywhere engine". I know that PB2017R3 can use SQLAnywhere 12 that comes with PB12.5 because I had this kind of a setup on Windows 7, so I was wondering if anybody knows how to do the same on Windows 10.

Best regards,
Konstantin

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 1 April 2019 20:52 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Konstantin;

My guess is that the PB2017Rx installer could be looking for the 32bit SA client. If you only have the 64bit S.A. client installed, I do not think that the PB Installer would list it as the IDE is 32 bit only.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Konstantin Goldobin
  2. Wednesday, 3 April 2019 09:56 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

Thanks, your reply helped: after I'd added the 32bit version of SQLAnywhere via PB12.5 installer, PB2017R3 setup wizard listed the 64bit (!) version and I was able to select it. After installation I connected to PB Demo DB from PB2017 and the 64bit SQLAnywere engine started successfully. Chris, to me it looks like an obvious glitch in the Setup program, but do you think I need to mark your reply as Answer for the same of the forum?

Best regards,

Konstantin
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 3 April 2019 16:45 PM UTC
Hi Konstantin;

Yes, it sounds like a bit of a "hole" in the installer that checks for installed instances of SA but not whether both bitnesses of the SA "DB Client" have been installed. Even the pre-installation section within the PB Install section of PB documentation does not seem to address the bitness requirements either.

FYI: https://www.appeon.com/support/documents/appeon_online_help/pb2017r3/installation_guide_for_pb/ch03s03.html

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 1 April 2019 20:42 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Neither responses answered the question: why isn't the installed SQL Anywhere showing in the installer drop-down that asks you which version of SQL Anywhere to use?

Comment
Chris Keating Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 1 April 2019 20:08 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Please note that the  SQL Anywhere software that was installed with SAP/Sybase PowerBuilder is a Developer edition. It cannot be used with deployed applications. The only deployment license that ever was included with PowerBuilder was the Runtime Edition. It was name rtengX.dll where X is the major version of SQL Anywhere.  The Runtime Edition was deprecated some time ago.

You can continue to use SQL Anywhere 12 (albeit it has been end of maintenance for some time) subject to your licensing. For example, you may continue to use the SQL Anywhere 12 Developer Edition with PowerBuilder 2017 for development work.

If you simply want to continue to use SQL Anywhere 12, access to historical software updates remain on the SAP Software Downloads site under Archived Products. Updates can be applied to all Editions including an active Trial Edition.

If you want to move to a newer Developer edition, please visit SQL Anywhere Developer Edition. This edition is a full feature product except that it cannot be used in production.  It will have features and capabilities that may not be available is all production licenses.  For example, High Available is not available in the Workplace license but is available in the Developer Edition.

There is also a limited time Trial Edition. The Trial Edition is no longer made available as a separate download. If you install without a registration key (you will be supplied a key for the Developer Edition), the software defaults to the Trial Edition which I believe is a 60 day period.

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 1 April 2019 20:16 PM UTC
Hi Chris;

Thank you for that extra information!

Any news on a new SA v18 release?

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 1 April 2019 19:18 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Konstantin;

When Appeon took over from SAP on July 2016, our agreement was only for InfoMaker and PowerBuilder. SAP still retained control over the development of SQL Anywhere (S.A.). 

So if you would like a newer release of S.A., you would need to contact SAP for that. SAP did offer a free Developer version of S.A. a few years ago. However AFAIK, SAP only now offers a "trial" version of S.A. Developer, as follows: 

FYI: https://learn.sapdigital.com/SQLA-Trial-Registration-Page.html

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.