1. Fabian Rachow
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 7 February 2018 16:35 PM UTC

Dear members of the Appeon community,

we are currently migrating our sources from PowerBuilder 10.5 to the new PowerBuilder 2017/R2. Unfortunately we have some problems with the new Subversion integration.

In general the migration works without problems. For the first test I opened the workspace for the first time, got the popup that asked for migration. After confirmation the migration process started and after a full rebuild of the project, our program was runnable without further adjustments.

I am now preparing our developer machines. This time I do not simply copy the sources manually onto the machines for migration, now I want to attach our Subversion source control (version 1.9.7) to the PowerBuilder IDE to get the source files.

Thanks to the native Subversion integration in PB 2017/R2 we do not need additional tools to establish a bridge between Subversion and PowerBuilder. I just selected "Connect to Workspace" and entered the subversion repository URL and the local checkout directory:

Then the download of the sources started without problems, but after the download I got the message that Powerbuilder was not able to open the targets that are included in the workspace and removed them from the project.

As a result the workspace was empty as the targets we missing. I was curious about the reason why the targets could not be opened. So I tried to add the existing targets manually into the workspace to get more information about the cause.

The error message said "bad application library" that were referenced in the target file.

My assumption is that Powerbuilder does not like the library files from the subversion repository because they are not migrated yet. Of course I could take my local files from the first migration and add them to the repository, but in that case I would create an entire new repository item from scratch in Subversion instead of continuing the current one. So I would loose the entire check-in history.

Is there a way I could retrieve the workspace from the source control, execute the 2017/R2 migration and do a check-in back into the repository?

I'd appreciate if you share your ideas.

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Fabian

Arthur Hefti Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 7 February 2018 18:52 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Fabian

the native source control integration used a different folder structure than the once we used before. The .sr? files are located in the ws_objects subfolder of the folder the workspace is in. There are more subfolder for all folders and object.

If you would like to continue using your repository there would be quite some work moving the file around. The same problem will occur when you do automatic builds as OrcaScript does not support the new structure yet.

So the easiest is migrating locally and add the project to source control in a new trunk folder and work from there.

Regards
Arthur 

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Govinda Lopez @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 7 February 2018 18:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Fabian,

I just tested your case by following the steps you mentioned. I had no problem getting the workspace and libraries from the SVN. Actually, PowerBuilder immediately asked me to migrate the target. Which I did. The migration was successful. 

I would suggest you checking if your files/folders are read/write enabled. Proper permissions for users too. Also, try to migrate the Workspace first without connecting to the SVN. See if there is any errors trying to migrate beforehand. My guess is that your problem is the migration is not being succesful.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

PS

Maybe you may want to actually create a new repository for the new version. That is because if you want to do a rollback to a previous version you would be getting the versions from your previous PowerBuilder and would need to migrate the object again. Probably causing more trouble later on. Just food for thoughts here...

Comment
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 8 February 2018 14:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

I'm not sure about the new subversion interface but in general, the PBL files are not in source control, the .sr* files are. You still have to create PBL files on the other developers machines. The easiest way is to copy the workspace and then have them do a Get Latest Version.

Comment
  1. Julie Jiang @Appeon
  2. Friday, 9 February 2018 06:53 AM UTC
Hi Roland, 

I would like to clarify: PBL files are also in source control with our new subversion interface introduced in R2. If you initially add a workspace to source control, the PBLs under the workspace are all uploaded to the subversion server; later the PBLs can be uploaded to the server separately via the Upload PBL command in the RMB menu.

Best regards,

Julie

1. Helpful
Julie Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 9 February 2018 07:27 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Fabian, 

Please also make sure that the workspace you uploaded to subversion server and the application PBLs are in the same folder.  

Best regards,

Julie

Comment
Mark Lee @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 9 February 2018 07:44 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Dear Fabian,

This problem is probably caused by that there’re files, such as PBLs,  PBT, etc. missing from the local machine.

You may manually copy those missing files to the local machine to resolve the issue.

You may find the below information useful:

The SVN integration with PB is similar to the VSS integration with PB.

With VSS, you’ll need to copy the related files such as .pbt, .pbl. etc. to the target machine before you can connect to the VSS server in PB on different machines.

Likewise, you’ll also need to upload the .pbl files (for the first time only) after you commit the source code to the SVN server (you may refer to the attached pictures for reference). In this way, you won’t need to copy the related .pbt, or .pbl files to the target machine anymore and SVN will automatically download the related files when connected in PB 2017.  

Besides, if you use the SVN integrated with PB 2017 for source control, you’ll need to use the PB integrated SVN to commit the original source code as well.

You cannot, say, upload the PB code to the SVN server using other methods and then download/get the PB code with the PB integrated SVN. This combined commit/download are not supported.  

Regards,

Mark Lee

Comment
  1. Fabian Rachow
  2. Monday, 12 March 2018 15:27 PM UTC
Dear community members,

I was finally able to solve the problems. The first main issue was indeed an invalid statement in the sources that lead to the migration error. After fixing this statement the migration went through without trouble.

After copying the .PBL etc. files into the Subversion structure it was also possible to use the integrated Subversion in PowerBuilder. However we decided to keep our existing setup using the SCC bridge PushOk to keep the change history of our sources. We might change to the integrated solution later, probably with PB 2017/R3.

I'd like to thank you guys for helping me with your contributions and detailed recommendations!

Many regards

Fabian

1. Helpful
Fabian Rachow Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 12 March 2018 15:29 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Dear community members,

I was finally able to solve the problems. The first main issue was indeed an invalid statement in the sources that lead to the migration error. After fixing this statement the migration went through without trouble.

After copying the .PBL etc. files into the Subversion structure it was also possible to use the integrated Subversion in PowerBuilder. However we decided to keep our existing setup using the SCC bridge PushOk to keep the change history of our sources. We might change to the integrated solution later, probably with PB 2017/R3.

I'd like to thank you guys for helping me with your contributions and detailed recommendations!

Many regards

Fabian

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.