1. Paul Murray
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 22 June 2018 01:58 AM UTC

Greetings All,

A long time ago I got my hands on Arthur Hefti's Google Maps Demo and I was able to transform it into a Vehicle Tracking System.  We used it for a long time before we purchased another system that included that functionality.  I have to say it was a LOT of work creating the code to generate the javascript to support the views on the fly (with markers).

Now I am working to simplify how we manage rates and would like to give our pricing team a tool that would allow them to:

• Create Zones graphically and save them to a 'zone' table with the zone coordinates being saved to a geometry column in an SQL Server 2017 table.
  • View Zones graphically and while selecting two zones (via CTRL-Click) have a panel appear where they can specify the vehicle type and the base rate and have that data save into a zone-to-zone pricing table where it would reference the keys in the 'zone' table.
  • Ideally the user would have the ability to pull up zone graphically, manually edit the zone with a drawing tool and then save them back to the zone table where the geometry column would be updated.

Can anyone suggest how this might be done in PowerBuilder?  A long time ago it would start with including a Microsoft Internet Object that was instantiated.  As time went by there were fewer and fewer ways to support this without modifying the registry settings (e.g., IE11).

Ideally, the PowerBuilder application would incorporate a supported off-the-shelf tool that has KML editing built-in.  I have searched 'powerbuilder' and 'kml' and have not been able to find anything in the community or via Google where someone has already done this.

I would appreciate it if anyone can comment with respect to the possibility of incorporating existing KML tools into a PowerBuilder project and referencing the objects or if there is a way to natively include Google Earth into the project.  While I would love for this to work in Appeon, I would be happy to have it work in a standalone PowerBuilder 2017 application.

Thanks in advance your time in reviewing this and pointing me in the right direction.

Paul

Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 22 June 2018 20:45 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

What a coincidence! I'm currently working on a pilot for "web-GIS embedded in PB app".

I'm using Leaflet.JS - which is excellent at presenting data with limited "GIS editing" (my scenario). You may require GIS editing at a level where other tools beyond Leaflet are worth considering.

I collect data on the PB side, wrap it up as GeoJSON and pass it on to Leaflet but it could be pretty much any GIS tool in JavaScript.

I especially like how easy it is to create multiple GeoJSON layers and change data dynamically using different styling/navigation rules per layer. Layers could be: General Hospitals, Trauma centers, ambulance service garages, local doctors, individual ambulances, ER helicopters, etc.

PM me if you would like further details. My code isn't demo-ready at a grand scale yet.

HTH /Michael

Comment
  1. Paul Murray
  2. Friday, 22 June 2018 21:07 PM UTC
Thank you Kevin and Michael.  I will check out both ESRI and Leaflet.js.  I think my requirements are simpler because there will only be creating/changing/deleting spatial zones (no landmarks or anything like that).  And hopefully, I can implement something where the user can click on two zones to initiate pricing...

Really appreciate your help!!

Paul

1. Helpful
  1. Paul Murray
  2. Saturday, 23 June 2018 02:47 AM UTC
Sorry, how do I do the PM thing?  I clicked on your profile, but I do not see anything related to private message, Michael.  Thanks!!  Paul

1. Helpful
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Sunday, 24 June 2018 09:59 AM UTC
Hi Paul, you did it correctly. I guess I had to accept your invitation to enable the private messaging.

You should have a message from me now. See your profile page, section [Private Messages and Invitations].

HTH /Michael

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Kevin Ridley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 22 June 2018 14:11 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Have you looked into ESRI?  I used their tool with PB10 years ago for a mapping app for the CT State Police.  This was about 5 years or so ago, not sure if it's still supported, but it's worth a shot.

Kevin

Comment
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 22 June 2018 03:30 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

KML is Keyhole Markup Language.

The reason it is called Keyhole is because the satellites Google uses are retired US Air Force spy satellites and Keyhole was the code name for the program. I used to work with them when I was in the Air Force.

Comment
  1. Paul Murray
  2. Friday, 22 June 2018 04:46 AM UTC
Thanks Roland...So I guess anything that allows me to describe a zone via a set of lat/longs will work.  Any idea as to how I can put it all together?  Paul

1. Helpful
Paul Murray Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 22 June 2018 03:07 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

I should probably state that we don't HAVE to use KML.  I think it could be any format that uploads easily to a geometry column in SQL Server and allows someone to draw a geographic zone.

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.