1. Saul Erhmy
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 30 September 2022 21:24 PM UTC

Hi,

I was googling online to see if this is possible but I'm not sure it is. If I'm correct it was possible in PB2018, there was a CSharp Editor but I can't find how to do this in 2022. I know SnapDevelop is used to code in C# but then I have to either create a .Net Web API so I can use C# code in my PB app (which I want to avoid) or convert my whole app to C# and SnapDevelop. If anyone knows how to use the C# Editor in PB2022 I would greatly appreciate it!

PowerObject ! Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 3 October 2022 20:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Here is a chart of what PowerScript Migrator in SnapDevelop can migrate -

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 30 September 2022 22:00 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

What you can do is develop non-visual C# assemblies in whatever C# IDE you like and integrate that into your PowerScript-based app using the .NET DLL Importer: https://docs.appeon.com/pb2022/application_techniques/Calling_C_Assembly_in_an_Application.html

Here is an Elevate tech session about this topic: https://www.appeon.com/conference/elevate-2020/live?id=251

Comment
  1. Saul Erhmy
  2. Monday, 3 October 2022 16:42 PM UTC
Thanks Armeen!
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 30 September 2022 21:49 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Saul;

No... PB never had a C# editor. However, newer cloud versions of PB does come with the SnapDevelop IDE - which is a C# development tool & supports the .Net DataWindow & DataStore.

In the older days of PB, we did have a C++ editor built into the PB IDE when PB was built with the Watcom C++ compiler. Newer versions of PB today though are built using the Microsoft C++ compiler.

You can use the C# Migrator utility to migrate your PowerScript to C# and then use either the SnapDevelop or Visual Studio IDE from that point onwards. However, the C# Migrator only does the non-visual objects. So there would still be coding work to do GUI wise after the initial code migration.

HTH 

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  1. Saul Erhmy
  2. Monday, 3 October 2022 16:43 PM UTC
Thanks Chris!
  1. Helpful
  1. Saul Erhmy
  2. Monday, 3 October 2022 16:46 PM UTC
I do have a questions about the C# Migrator utility. How powerful is this tool, as in how well does it convert PowerScript to C#?
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Monday, 3 October 2022 20:13 PM UTC
For NVOs generally it is fairly good. Other than that, it is not going to do good conversion because it is designed to only work on non-visual code and PB apps generally are not well partitioned so garbage in... garbage out!
  1. Helpful 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.