1. Vipin Dwivedi
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 31 May 2018 17:54 PM UTC

Hello PB Experts,

We have moved from PB12.5 to PB2017 R2. Let me explain you about how we were using PB12.5 for our project. We were using PuskOK to manage the Source Control with PB application where PB used to interact with SVN using PushOK Source Control. This was working flawless where our application code was interacting with SVN without any issue.

We used to build the EXE/PBD on daily basis using ORCA script where we used to call various SCC operation like SCC Connect, SCC Build, SCC Refresh and so on. It was working fine and SCC operation was working fine with PushOK. PuskOK was providing us PushOK SVNSCC dll (sccapi.dll) through which SCC operations were working beautifully with ORCA.

Now since we moved our project to PB2017 (Current version we are using is 2017 R2 Build 1769) with GIt as source control. Our application is successfully connect to Git repository and we are successfully able to perform Push/Pull/Refresh etc operation to send/receive changes to/from Git Repository.

The only challenge now we are facing is to Automate the Build using ORCA script. We found that SCC operation is not working with Git source Control and the reason I believe is Git does not provide any SVNSCC dll which can interact with repository using SCC operation. When we are trying to run the SCC command such as SCC get connect, SCC connect etc. It is not able to connect to repository and throwing the Error such as Return code -23 which is "An error occurred reading the Windows registry entry". I believe there is no such DLL exist what we used to have for PushOK to perform the SCC operation. 

How we can make use of SCC operation with Git repository. I went through the Bruce Blog https://www.brucearmstrong.org/2017/05/configuring-powerbuilder-projects-to.html but that tells to connect using Github and not the Git. We are using Git. Please guide us how we can perform SCC operation online using Git repository in ORCA?

Any tutorial material is much appreciated. We are keen to know the solution as we have started making change in the PB2017 code.

Regards,

Vipin

Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 4 June 2018 09:47 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi,

PB 2017 R2/R3 doesn’t support connecting to Git through orcascript SCC to download the source code. That’s why you got the error code -23 executing scc connect.

If you want to build the EXE/PBD using ORCA script, you can use the following workaround:

1. Use a Git client or third party API to download the source code to the local machine from the Git server.
  2. Copy the source code in ws_objects\yourpblsname.pbl.src\ folder to the same folder with the PBLs. //R3 will improve it.
  3. Save all *.pbg files using UTF8 without BOM (due to another bug https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/pbg-file-is-utf-8-bom-but-orcascript-cannot-process).  //R3 will improve it.
  4. Execute OrcaScript to generate the PBLs and compile them into exe/pbd, for example:

start session
start session
set debug true
scc set connect property logfile "CreatePBLs.log"
scc connect offline
scc set target "test.pbt" "refresh_all importonly"
scc refresh target 3pass
build library "test.pbl" "" pbd
build library "new2.pbl" "" pbd
build executable "test.exe" "" "" "yy" 
scc close
end session

Best Regards,
Ken

Comment
  1. Vipin Dwivedi
  2. Wednesday, 6 June 2018 20:56 PM UTC
It may be a memory issue. It did not crash in second run but getting same "illegal data type error" after adding incremental before 3pass.

1. Helpful
  1. Ken Guo @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 7 June 2018 04:48 AM UTC
Hi,

please open a support ticket at https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport and include a sample case in the ticket for analysis. 

Regards,

Ken

1. Helpful
  1. Tareq Haschemi
  2. Thursday, 7 June 2018 14:20 PM UTC
I have a question: We are currently building our software with the autocompile "pbc170" tool via the command line. What is the difference now if I use the ORCA script you mentioned? or generally Orca

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
David Peace (Powersoft) Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 1 June 2018 12:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I really think that we are always going to be hampered with PB and source control systems until we get rid of the PBLs. In the past we used PowerGen to build the PBLs from our source control and Roland developed a BootStrap system to do the same. They all work but are not really that satisfactory.

I do not think that is one "fits all" solution.

Regards

David

Comment
  1. Vipin Dwivedi
  2. Friday, 1 June 2018 16:21 PM UTC
Thanks David for the response. But I am looking for some tips to connect to the Git Repository using SCC connect operation to get the latest objects into PBLS. Any guidence is much appreciated from the PB Experts.

Regards,

Vipin

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.