1. Sheldon Shulman
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 18 December 2018 20:18 PM UTC

Trying to get the feel for how this is supposed to work.

Can someone tell me if I am missing something.

Set up bonobo git on 2012 server, tortoisegit on the windows side.

In the IDE you just open an object up for edit and save it and there is a check mark next to it.

If you are satisfied, you do a commit.

This does not impact the server copy.

If I want to revert to the previous version, going to revert option displays that there is no previous version available.

Why is it telling me that?

Then when it comes time to push the changed modules out to the server - I am confused at which level do I do that?

Where is the Push to the directory supposed to take place

I find that after the push, I can no longer do a diff with previous version on my desktop.

I go to the server and try to look at historical changes and it gives me a server error.

Frankly, I am just lost in this sea of options and checkboxes.

If anyone can share with me how they are using this combo of products, I'd appreciate it.

Tom Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 19 December 2018 03:12 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Sheldon,

The revert only works when you have uncommitted changes. You can use it to revert back to before you made any changes on that object. Similarly diff is to compare the uncommitted changes to before you made any changes on that object, so it is unavailable after you commit.

The push syncs all the commits on your local repository to your server. The pull syncs commits on your server back to your local repository. Instead of going to the server, it is better to install TortoiseGit client to see all the history and changes among other things directly from your client side. 

The following are some links you may find useful in using Git with PowerBuilder:

https://community.appeon.com/index.php/articles-blogs/tutorials-articles/2-powerbuilder/183-powerbuilder-2017-r2-new-feature-git-source-control-support

https://community.appeon.com/index.php/articles-blogs/tutorials-articles/2-powerbuilder/202-powerbuilder-2017-r3-new-feature-git-enhancements

Regards,

Tom Jiang

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Sheldon Shulman Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 19 December 2018 14:29 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I appreciate the response but I have to say I am EXTREMELY disappointed.

Why would anyone recommend this as a source control solution?

It's so basic to be able to compare previous releases!

Now I have to have a backup and add it as a revision just to be able to see the differences.

Before, using "old PVCS" technology, I was able to do this easily.

How about the issue I am having on the server - anyone else able to click on History and not get a server error?

Comment
  1. Tom Jiang @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 25 December 2018 05:29 AM UTC
You do have the options to compare previous releases. You can actually compare any two commits in the history or between your current working folder and a history commit. But you need to use a Git client tool to do that. You can install TortoiseGit to get the full potential of Git.

Regarding the history error, what exact is the error message? What is your Git server? You may try Github first before setting up your own server.

Regards,

Tom Jiang
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.