1. Glenn Barber
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 19 September 2018 20:49 PM UTC

We have some accounts still running apps from 12.6 - which has been stable for many years - now suddenly we are sometimes seeing strange dw errors as below

Faulting application name: irights7.exe, version: 7.3.0.1, time stamp: 0x591962bf
Faulting module name: pbdwe126.dll, version: 12.6.0.3506, time stamp: 0x53bcd172
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00000000000dd213
Faulting process id: 0x6958

Any ideas as to what could suddenly cause this?

Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 19 September 2018 21:00 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Microsoft could have changed something in an update.  While we can't help to provide a bug fix for PB 12.6, if you provide us with test case we can try to reproduce with PB 2017 and if we reproduce it we could try to provide you fix in a maintenance release of PB 2017 or 2018.  If you want to go this direction please open a support ticket here and specify PB 2017 as your version number: https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/ 

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Glenn Barber Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 19 September 2018 21:24 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Thanks Armeen

Yes - it definitely worries me that we could suddenly have something Microsoft did in an update that makes our entire application for all our users suddenly misbehave.

We are testing the 2017R3 version with one customer but havent rolled it out to our entire base yet.

Fortunately the problem seems intermittent and I can't seem to reproduce.

All I can do now is check dll version to make sure we didn't change something.  What I was looking for were any ideas anyone would have from experience as to what might suddenly cause this crash error with the datawindow object.

Best regards

Glenn

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 19 September 2018 21:44 PM UTC
I see. Hopefully other people can chime in if any temporary solution. Please keep in mind since it is intermittent it would be difficult for us to resolve if it still exists in PB 2017 R3. When I say difficult I mean it could take significantly longer than usual to identify the cause of the problem, which would then push out the date of a fix.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 19 September 2018 21:46 PM UTC
FWIW: I have seen this happen to both older Sybase and PowerSoft releases of PB a few times. Its rare, but it can happen after an MS-Windows O/S update.
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 19 September 2018 21:44 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Glenn;

WOW .. I see that you are on build #3506 which is the GA version of PB v12.6. That build was very buggy! SAP introduced many fixes to v12.6. The last build I had (have) was #4108. If you can no longer obtain PB v12.6 MR's and/or EBF's - then I would highly recommend upgrading to Appeon PB (as Armeen suggested) as Appeon incorporated all the SAP EBF's into PB2017/2017R2 that SAP gave us. Appeon also cleaned up some PB code for W10 compliance.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Glenn Barber
  2. Wednesday, 19 September 2018 22:04 PM UTC
Very helpful!

HI Chris

Let me see if I can get my hands on the newest runtime libraries and version...

We are building with 4139, could be some compatibility issue - so I may need to update the deployment library to match that..

Certainly strange that we just ran into this - so still a bit concerning its some os issue with windows server..

Thanks again.

1. Helpful
  1. Glenn Barber
  2. Wednesday, 19 September 2018 22:58 PM UTC
I might add that we are just about to roll out our first new release with PB207R3 - but some accounts have a lot of custom code which requires special testing - so we weren't planning on a full rollout for everyone until November. So we will need to hold things together on 12.6 for a little while longer if we can.

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 19 September 2018 23:01 PM UTC
Ouch ... Yes, a mismatched run-time can certainly make your App's randomly unstable! :-(
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.