1. Roy Bungert
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 8 February 2018 08:11 AM UTC

Known issues with DB Name of computed fields

If a named computed field is added in DataSource, its DB Name will be compute_<4-digit-number>, rather than the name declared in the computed field statement. For example, if you execute the following SQL statement to add a column after creating the DataWindow:

SELECT column_a FROM table_b WHERE table_b.id = table_c.id AS example_column; 

In PowerBuilder 2017, the DB Name is example_column, while in PowerBuilder 2017 R2, the DB Name is custom_<4-digit-number>.

Bug 698

The changed Naming of computed columns in DataWindows Destroy the DataWindow GUI

Our problem:

From my point of view PB2017R2 is totaly unusable for projects (with DWs) which are created before PB2017R2.

As a result of this known issue / bug we have the following problem:

We have a DW (from PB2017R1) with computed fields defined in the SQL.

If we want to change (or delete) one of the these computed colums in the SQL, all computed fields (from the SQL) are delete from the dw and added at other positions. In Grid style, all headings, formats etc are lost. So, a our reports can't be used anymore.

Is this a general problem or does it depend of certain settings (We use SQL Anywhere)?

I hope there is a workarounds. I guess that this is a bigger problem for Appeon. If it wouldn't be a big one, they would have fixed it, instead of documenting it in the "Known issue" list.

I hope for help

Roy

Accepted Answer
Gerrit Bruns Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 8 February 2018 10:25 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi,

this seems to be a general problem which is not related to the used Database.

We use MS SQL Server and it is the same. As far as I know there is no workaorund for this.

Besides that problem you will also have a problem if you use the DB Name property like we do. We use it to determine which columns are in DataWindows and to modify the select statement for searches at runtime. With the DB Name change this isn't working anymore, when you changed something in the DataSource. Modify the DataWindow in Edit Source mode to change the DB Names isn't an acceptable workaround for this, because it will take to much time.

In my opinion the R2 release is unusable in its current state.

Regards,

Gerrit

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Monday, 12 February 2018 03:09 AM UTC
We plan to release an emergency patch (EBF) to address this issue.  More to follow soon.

1. Helpful
  1. Ken Guo @Appeon
  2. Monday, 12 February 2018 05:19 AM UTC
Hi,

We are very sorry for the issue you are experiencing and the inconvenience this has caused you. 

Now our team is preparing an emergency patch for this issue. The patch is under final validation.  We will make it available to all users  (tentatively on or before February 16, 2018) in our Download portal along with the download link of PowerBuilder 2017 R2.

Regards.. Ken

1. Helpful
  1. Ken Guo @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 13 February 2018 05:57 AM UTC
Hi All,

The emergency patch for this issue is now available along with the download link of PowerBuilder 2017 R2 in our Download portal. Please apply this emergency patch immediately after you install PowerBuilder 2017 R2.

Regards... Ken

Appeon Support

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.

There are replies in this question but you are not allowed to view the replies from this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.