1. Sarath Pappireddy
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 30 September 2019 19:50 PM UTC

Hi Team,

We are using  SQL Server 2012 database to connect one of the Power builder 8.0 application.

I have used below connection settings to connect for SQL server 2012.

SQLCA.DBMS = "SNC"
SQLCA.LogId = "sqluser1"
SQLCA.LogPass = "password123"
SQLCA.ServerName = "ACQServer"
SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
SQLCA.dbparam=”Database=’ACQ’, provider=’SQLNCLI11’

I am getting below error while connecting. 

"dbms SNC is not supported in your current installation"

Can anyone tell me with connection settings and also help me like whether SNC is supported for Power builder 8 with SQL server 2012.

Please help me on this .

Sarath Pappireddy Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 2 October 2019 14:46 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Thanks for your quick response.

I have tried with DBMS as ODBC and its connecting and i am able to run the application, but if we try to open window which is having data window with data source as stored produce then i am getting error as "Requested Result Set Number 1 NOT FOUND".

With the same code i tried with DBMS as MSS in test regions its working fine including data window which is having stored procedures,but when it comes to production server , not able to connect with MSS.

Its looking strange for me like able to connect with MSS in test regions but not in production.

Any help is much appreciated on this as its looking very strange for me.

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 2 October 2019 15:08 PM UTC
The MSS SS DB Client driver is now long deprecated. This DB Driver was supplied by Microsoft in very old versions of SQLServer. SS2012 does not support or supply the MSS driver any longer. It was replaced by SNC. I suspect that your production systems have removed the old SS MSS driver from their systems.

The ODBC driver is really a call to "middleware" that interacts with SS on behalf of your PB Apps(s). The ODBC layer is a different DB access than the direct route of MSS (and now SNC). If you want to use that route of DB Connection, then be prepared to add more settings in your SQLCA.DBParm field (ie StripParmNames) in order to also have your SP's accessible.

The main thing to remember is that on any DB error, always log the DB Error Number and Error Text for further problem resolution. Also, don't forget the handy SQL Trace feature of the PB run-time (SQLCA.DBMS = "TRACE ODBC" or SQLCA.DBMS = "TRACE SNC").
  1. Helpful
  1. John Fauss
  2. Wednesday, 2 October 2019 16:33 PM UTC
I believe SQL Server 2008 was the last version to support the Microsoft-supplied MSS driver. We used this driver for many years with our commercial app when we still developing in PB 9. PB 8 was released in the early 2000's, so I think you've gotten very good mileage from it to this point.

It sounds like you will need to migrate your app to a newer version of PB in order to be able to connect to SQL Server 2012 and newer versions, since mainstream support for SS2012 has already expired and extended support ends in 2022), since ODBC that is compatible with PB 8 is unable to meet your needs.

1. Helpful
  1. Sarath Pappireddy
  2. Wednesday, 2 October 2019 16:39 PM UTC
Thanks John we are under process of migrating.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 30 September 2019 20:03 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Sarath;

The SNC type of connection was not available in PB 8. This driver was added in the PB v10/11 time frame (or there about).

I am not sure about PB 8 (decades old now) but, I think the DB Driver for that version was "MSS". Double-check your PB 8 documentation.   Note: SS2012 was not supported by PB version 8.x AFAIK.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Sarath Pappireddy
  2. Monday, 30 September 2019 20:35 PM UTC
Thanks Chris.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.