1. Saravanakumar Thangapandian
  2. PowerServer 2020 or older (Obsolete)
  3. Tuesday, 21 April 2020 08:23 AM UTC

Hi,

I have Power Builder 2019 R2 Build 2323 installed.

The database version is '12.2.0.1.0'

The application is working fine in thick client.

But when I have deployed it, it is not working properly. All the screen is throwing the below error

"Failed to get DataWindow SQL from PowerServer (Application = xxx, DataObject = xxx, DBType = 19). Please make sure you have deployed your application correctly."

I have deployed the application using my "Oracle 10g/11g/12c" database type and also created the transaction object with "Oracle 10g/11g/12c" type only.

But still, the application is trying to connect with "Oracle18c/19c" type.

When I checked the server log, I could see that the application is trying to connect with Oracle18c/19c db type.

"PBTransaction=PBTransactionProperties[Name=Sqlca_validation, ConnectionCache =pvr12gt,DriverID=17, AutoCommitMode=NoAutoCommit, CommitOnDisconnect=True, DbType=Oracle18c/19c, ConnectionLifeTime=-1],"

Earlier I was using Power Builder 2017. I have not faced any issues in that version.

Is it any configuration/setting issue?

Can anyone tell me the solution?

Accepted Answer
Kai Zhao @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 22 April 2020 01:48 AM UTC
  3. # Permalink

Hi Saravanakumar,

You said that the issue occurred when you were using dynamic transaction object to data source mapping in ticket 4462, it must be caused by incorrect DBMS of transaction object. The correct DBMS is 'O10' for Oracle 10g/11g/12c, and is 'ORA' for Oracle 18c/19c. Please refer to the article below for details:
https://docs.appeon.com/appeon_online_help/ps2020/server_configuration_guide_for_net/Dynamic_transaction_object_to_connection_cache_mapping.html

Please solve the issue by using script like below:

SQLCA.dbms = "O10"
SQLCA.dbparm = "CacheName='azureqa20'"

Regards,
ZhaoKai

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 22 April 2020 14:17 PM UTC
See my response, pasted from the PB help file.
  1. Helpful
  1. Kai Zhao @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 23 April 2020 00:27 AM UTC
Hi Miguel,

For PowerBuilder, you are right.

For PowerServer, the correct DBMS is 'O10' for Oracle 10g/11g/12c, and is 'ORA' for Oracle 18c/19c. Please refer to the article below for details:

https://docs.appeon.com/appeon_online_help/ps2020/server_configuration_guide_for_net/Dynamic_transaction_object_to_connection_cache_mapping.html

Regards,

ZhaoKai
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 23 April 2020 06:49 AM UTC
Thank you Zhao Kai,

I find this confusing, but it's good to know, I've been trying to work on powerserver with ORA as dbms to 11g and 12c databases, which might explain some of the weird problems I had with especially stored procedures.

regards.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 21 April 2020 15:21 PM UTC
  3. # 1

you need to tell us the version of powerSERVER you are having the problem with

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 22 April 2020 15:38 PM UTC
Great that's what I was thinking. Having to apply different DBMS settings depending if you are on Powerserver or Powerbuilder seems like a confusing and ridiculous thing to me.

cheers
  1. Helpful
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 22 April 2020 14:17 PM UTC
  3. # 2

Supported versions for Oracle

PowerBuilder provides the following Oracle database interfaces. These interfaces use different DLLs and access different versions of Oracle.

Oracle interface

DLL

O10 Oracle 10g

PBO10170.DLL

ORA Oracle (for 11g, 12c and 18c)

PBORA170.DLL

The ORA database interface allows you to connect to Oracle 11g/12c/18c servers using Oracle 11g/12c/18c Database Client or Oracle 11g/12c/18c Instant Client. It includes partial support for the XMLType datatype that it maps to the PowerBuilder String datatype. It also supports session and connection pooling, load balancing, the Oracle Client Cache, setting of an application driver name, and access through a proxy. Oracle 11g clients can also connect to Oracle 10g servers.

The O10 database interface allows you to connect to Oracle 10g servers using Oracle 10g Database Client or Oracle 10g Instant Client. It supports BINARY_FLOAT and BINARY_DOUBLE datatypes and increased size limits for CLOB and NCLOB datatypes. Oracle 10g clients can connect to Oracle 10g servers.

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 22 April 2020 15:39 PM UTC
Great that's what I was thinking. Having to apply different DBMS settings depending if you are on Powerserver or Powerbuilder seems like a confusing and ridiculous thing to me.

cheers
  1. Helpful
  1. mike S
  2. Wednesday, 22 April 2020 16:30 PM UTC
i believe that the DBMS connection is extremely different for powerServer under the hood. How you handle the db connection must be reviewed and changed as part of the migration to powerserver, so it being different is, IMO, not a problem. after all, this is where you typically will use pooled connections shared between users.

If anything it is TOO similar to what you use for PB client and thus you would naturally make some assumptions. (well at least i did when i first started with PS)
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 22 April 2020 16:34 PM UTC
but it's a difference which is totally unnecessary, in my opinion.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.