1. Vladimir K.
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 27 June 2018 20:01 PM UTC

Greeting all.

Just installed PB2017R2 build 1769 on clean windows 10 machine  9 windows 10 pro version 1803 )

I am also running same PB2017R2 build on windows 7 pro machine.

All good on windows 7, but with windows 10 i notice column border properties is messed up, tabs are also look different.

So basically:

left top - search window when i run our installed app

right top - search window, when i run our app from powerbuilder

both on the bottom datawindow and window painters.

Do i missing something? a file? a tweak ?a setup step?

Any help/hint will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely Vlad

John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 27 June 2018 20:23 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I believe the difference you are seeing can be attributed to the Windows desktop theme. The theme currently in use by each OS.is likely different.

Comment
  1. Vladimir K.
  2. Wednesday, 27 June 2018 20:41 PM UTC
Thank You John, but why on the same machine look and feel of the same application different in PB "working" environment.

In 7, i can change the theme, but objects will look the same running installed app or developing in PB.

Can it be fix somehow?

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 27 June 2018 20:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Vlad;

When you compile your PB App's EXE via its Project object - are you requesting the old "Windows Classic Style" option ON by chance?

Regards .. Chris

Comment
  1. Vladimir K.
  2. Wednesday, 27 June 2018 21:07 PM UTC
Hi Chris, haven't seen/talk to you in eons.

Looking forward to see you in Phily.

Yes i do:

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 28 June 2018 03:06 AM UTC
That is why then the EXE varies from the way i runs from the IDE. PB 12.6 had a Classic Look option in its System Options dialogue but this was removed in PB 2017. The project is now the only place where that old option can still be activated. Personally, I do not use that look & feel any more. Just my $0.02.

Yes, I hope to see you in Philly!

1. Helpful
  1. Vladimir K.
  2. Thursday, 28 June 2018 12:55 PM UTC
Got it, thank you Chris.

Will be there

1. Helpful
Vladimir K. Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 27 June 2018 21:42 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

I just installed PB12.1 on windows 10 machine and i got same problem with 12.1

I beginning to think that i have something like package and/or feature missing on this windows 10 machine

Anyone? Any idea?

Comment
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 28 June 2018 03:33 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Vlad,

You are not missing any file/package. The issue is related to the OS itself. 
Windows 10 adopts the flat design completely. So the column borders become flat with no 3D effect.
It’s not only about PB. If you open a windows folder, you will see the path bar and search bar are also in this flat style.  

You can work around the issue using Chris’ suggestion. 

Regards,
Ken

Comment
  1. David Peace (Powersoft)
  2. Thursday, 28 June 2018 16:26 PM UTC
Absolutely Chris

The latest MS UI is white with a little bit of grey. Scroll bars disappear when you are not focused on that panel and reappear with mouse over. I'm not convinced that the users actually like it and there is nothing to stop MS changing their mind and changing everything to shades of Yellow with Pink text next.

Perhaps we should be following Google's Material Design UI Guidelines, this still has colour to make in interesting but has floating action buttons/menus.

I'm always happy to mimic MS but only after a while.....

Cheers

David

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 28 June 2018 18:36 PM UTC
I agree with Chris.  UI/UX standard keep changing and we have to keep changing along with that so that the apps we build continue to be intuitive for the business users (especially new users that join the organization).  Windows 10 has been around long enough that many people are now used to this.  For sure UI/UX standards will change again in the future... tech is a moving target and the nice thing is productive tool like PowerBuilder makes it much less costly and easier to keep up!

1. Helpful
  1. Vladimir K.
  2. Thursday, 28 June 2018 20:11 PM UTC
Armeen, currently, PB menu, has 2 menu styles: traditionalmenu! and contemporarymenu!

How difficult and does it make any sense to have a same concept on application level - traditional! and contemporary! for example?

Frankly, we got a lot of object to "refactored" to fix something that is not really broken.

Also, i belief Appeon have plans to give PB a [ new look, face lift, fresh makeup, whatever we want to call it ] so if i start refactoring now, i am running in the possibility that i will need to do it again in nearest future.

1. Helpful
Kim Berghall Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 28 June 2018 19:02 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Related to this topic, there is one issue with PB 17 that I am not too fond of - the display of the "Arrows" in dddws. In the old PB, we used a field height of 56 and the arrows looked great, now it looks terrible. Basically the arrow is not centered top to bottom, but instead placed towards the bottom somehow. So in order to make it look good you have to make the fields having a height of 64 or 68. That eats up a lot of screen space.

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.