1. Timothy Beck
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 1 April 2020 19:45 PM UTC

Hi!

I'm attempting to connect to an internal .net Web Service using a certificate file.  I see that the old SoapConnection object had the SetClientCertificateFile method, but can't find the same (or similar) method in the RESTClient or HTTPClient.  Does anyone know how to pass a certificate to a Web Service using HTTP or REST?

Thanks!

Mark Lee @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 2 April 2020 03:26 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for reporting this problem.

Currently neither the HTTPClient object nor the RESTClient object supports the SetClientCertificateFile method (or a similar method) in PB 2017 or PB 2019.

But I will record it as a new enhancement / requirement request and will transfer it to our product team for consideration.

Regards,

Comment
  1. Timothy Beck
  2. Thursday, 2 April 2020 14:04 PM UTC
Mark,

Thanks! Do those methods (SetOptions and SetClientCertificateFile) modify the request header? Essentially, what I'm attempting to do is something along these lines in PB Classic:

public static X509Certificate2 GetClientCertificate()

{

var store = new X509Store(StoreName.My, StoreLocation.CurrentUser);

string certCode = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["certCode"].ToString();

X509Certificate2Collection certificatesFound;

try

{

store.Open(OpenFlags.ReadOnly);

//Specify the SPID certficate serial number to intiate the certificate

certificatesFound = store.Certificates.Find(X509FindType.FindBySerialNumber, certCode, true);

store.Close();

if (certificatesFound == null || certificatesFound.Count == 0)

{

throw new InvalidOperationException("Could not find a certificate!");

}

}

catch (Exception ex)

{

throw ex;

}

finally

{

if (store != null)

store.Close();

}

return certificatesFound[0];

}

1. Helpful
  1. Mark Lee @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 8 April 2020 03:16 AM UTC
Hi Timothy,

1. I suggest you upgrade your PB to PB 2019 R2 Build 2323 and use the new module of .NET DLL Importer. You can compile the code as a C# simple class to a DLL file and then import it to PB to pass the same function. You can find it in the local Help documentation and how to invoke it.

https://docs.appeon.com/appeon_online_help/pb2019r2/application_techniques/ch20s02.html

Note: currently some complex C# classes do not support it. You can refer to the below link:

https://docs.appeon.com/appeon_online_help/pb2019r2/application_techniques/ch20s01.html

2. You can also refer to the following link and see how another customer resolves this problem.

https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/call-rest-web-service-with-certificate?limitstart=0#reply-9854

Regards,
  1. Helpful
  1. Marco Meoni
  2. Tuesday, 9 June 2020 20:57 PM UTC
Hi Mark,

the link you posted refers to a 3rd party library and marks that library as accepted solution.

Nothing against that, Chilkat is a very good set of API and I too use it sometimes.

But I think a solution in this forum should be a a little bit more creative than just purchasing an external tool.

I like the idea of using .NET DLL importer. In that way it is possibile to use System.Net.HttpWebRequest and its ClientCertificates.Add() API for passing the certificate file.

A temporary solution until HTTPClient will provide built-in certificate support. :-)

Best,

.m
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Kevin Ridley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 19 May 2020 16:41 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I've never tried to pass a certificate, but if you can do it in SOAPUI or Postman, just trap the request using Fiddler or similar monitoring tool, then recreate it exactly with the HTTPClient.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Comment
Gregory Rusak Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 9 June 2020 18:16 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hello Appeon,

We too are needing to use SSL certificates with the HttpClient. Is the SetClientCertificateFile method being planned for a future release of PowerBuilder?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Comment
  1. Mark Lee @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 10 June 2020 08:21 AM UTC
Hi Gregory,

We plan to implement this feature in PB 2019 R3. However, I can’t guarantee it because this plan might be changed due to some additional requirements.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.