1. Ramesh Reddy
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 14 September 2017 14:40 PM UTC

I do not have any power builder knowledge. I migrated database from sybase to SQL 2012.

Current users Executes  application EXE file built using PowerBuilder 5 and provides ODBC DATA SOURCE information in Data window.

What steps to perform. I read that sql native client  driver 11 in not supported in power builder.  How to confiure Client ODBC connection.

Connot find development environment where I can Open Powerbuilder IDE.

Any guidance is greatly approciated.

Brad Mettee Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 15 September 2017 15:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

If you still have the source code, we might be able to help you bring it up to something more current. 

I can be e-mailed at bmettee, insert the appropriate symbol here, pchotshots.com.

There may be issues with database functions/triggers/features that differ between Sybase and MSSQL Server 2012, but a look at source will give a better idea of what's going on. (and looking at the original DB if necessary).

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 14 September 2017 17:50 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

PowerBuilder database access with ODBC should work as long as the new database supports all the SQL statements it is running.

It sounds like you don't have the PowerBuilder 5 IDE. Version 5 became unsupported sometime in the 1999/2000 timeframe. You should thing about purchasing a license for the newest version and migrating the code.

Do you have the code? The code is stored in files with the extension .pbl.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 14 September 2017 14:54 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

HI Ramesh;

FYI: Proper support for SS 2012 was not added into PowerBuilder until PB version 12.6.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Thursday, 14 September 2017 15:51 PM UTC
Chris, I would have thought that as long as MSS 2012-specific functions were not required, a generic ODBC connection would suffice for standard CRUD operations.

Olan

1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Thursday, 14 September 2017 17:45 PM UTC
The OP doesn't even have PB 5 installed so he is really in a bind. I wonder if he even has the source code.

1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.