1. David Harbud
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 16 March 2018 15:02 PM UTC

An application, that we recently converted from PB12.5.2 to PB2017, opens documents thus
ll_rc = ShellExecuteW ( Handle( gw_mdi ), "open", ls_path , ls_null, ls_null, 1 ) where ls_path is the full path & filename.

If the file is a PDF and the default PDF viewer is Acrobat Reader DC then the file is opened in Acrobat, but it is not possible to view any more PDF documents by double clicking in the file explorer - each time a new Acrobat session starts in background mode and nothing is displayed.  This works in the old version of the software. We're rather concerned if there is an issue with PDF processing with PB2017, because we do this a lot in our main application,   In order to continue using acrobat, it is necessary to kill all open Acrobat sessions.

The director who is getting this problem is using 64 bit W8.1 and both the compiled application and Acrobat are 32 bit.  If you have, say, Edge or another PDF viewer specified as the default viewer then there is no problem.   Acrobat shows no problems when not called from our application.   I cannot replicate this problem on my 64 bit Windows 10 machine.

Accepted Answer
Arthur Hefti Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 17 March 2018 09:33 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi

Try passing NULL as first argument. For me it looks like Acrobat gets "associated" with your application and won't respond to commands from other applications any more.

Regards
Arthur

Comment
  1. David Harbud
  2. Wednesday, 21 March 2018 08:56 AM UTC
Thanks.  That sounds plausible, but Acrobat does respond to commands from windows explorer, but only opens in background.  I'll try passing the null.

1. Helpful
  1. David Harbud
  2. Wednesday, 21 March 2018 08:56 AM UTC
Thanks.  That sounds plausible, but Acrobat does respond to commands from windows explorer, but only opens in background.  I'll try passing the null.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Alfredo Aldama Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 16 March 2018 20:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Good Afternoon,

The command Open, this command is used to open the file; However, this type of file (PDF) must be associated with Acrobat Reader, if you try (test) using the home folder (start from) and the constant SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED (3), because you say, from your application the file does not open, however work with others aplications.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.