This article is a guide to connect Powerbuilder 2017 with TFS. It is important to follow the steps in the order listed in the article.
The prerequisite includes
- PB17 installed on a local machine.
- TFS server running with access to the user. A collection is required where the code will be checked in.
Next follow the below points:
- Team explorer 2013 : Yes the first thing needed is to install Visual studio team explorer. I know the first question pop ups in mind is if Visual studio needs to be installed on every machine !! Well the answer is NO. All you need is Team explorer 2013 to access the TFS. Second question is why 2013 ? Well there comes the 32 bit and 64 bit compatibility issues, moreover there is no standalone installer for Team explorer 2015. If you figured out a way to do it with later versions, then mention it in the comments.
You need a Microsoft account to download Visual studio Team explorer. It's a free account and free download, Install the DVD option if it asks. Online installation sometimes causes problems if your computer has pre requisite software missing.
- MSSCCI: The way it works is that PB requires MSSCCI to connect with TFS. Use the below link to download and install it :
Make suer it is 32 bit as PB17 is a 32 bit IDE.
- Add project in Team Explorer: Open Team explorer 2013 and add project/collection from your TFS server.
- Configure Powerbuilder 2017: Open your workspace in powerbuilder. Go to properties of workspace >> Source Control.
- In the source control system use Microsoft team foundation server.
- Provide your windows login credentials in User ID.
- Click on the ellipse button beside Project:. It should automatically select the project you choose in step 3. If not so then do it manually by selecting the TFS server and then server path from the popup screen.
- Add to source control: Once the Powerbuilder shows in output that source control is ready, right click on the workspace and hit Add to source control. It will ask if if multiple files are to be checked in, press OK.
You are done with the connection ! Put down the comments mates