Any known problems with Windows XP and PB 2017?

I see on the website that PB 2017 isn't shown to work on Windows XP. I just tried installing my app, compiled with PB 2017, on an old XP machine and it was fine. Unfortunately because of our niche market we have a lot of users who hang on to old computers for a very long time, so I need to know whether there are any known significant issues about XP and PB 2017, or whether it's just you didn't choose to test it with that. Then I can know what sort of warning to give any of my remaining users who are on XP about installing our new version created with PB 2017.

Thanks.

Question Tags: 

Answers

Chris Pollach answered Any known problems with Windows XP and PB 2017?

Hi Dan; XP support in PB was dropped in the PB 12.5.2 version time frame. Regards ... Chris

Dan Cooperstock's picture

Chris, I'm not asking whether it is officially supported - I'm asking whether there are known problems. PB 12.5 wasn't officially supporting Windows 10, but I had hundreds of users using it with no problems. I need to know exactly how strongly to warn my users who are still on XP, when I upload the first PB 2017 version to our download web pages, that there may be problems. If there is no known change from the level of XP support (or non-support) between PB 12.5 and PB 2017, then I will feel I have nothing to worry about.

Armeen Mazda's picture

Dan, since PB 2017 was recently released and most people no longer use XP you really aren't going to find many data points right now.  You would most likely need to test yourself to see if there are any issues.  

But as far as your comment about Windows 10, Appeon fixed a number fo bugs in PB 2017, such as related to touch keyboard services, which is often times enabled on Windows 10.  

Personally, if I was an IT manager I wouldn't use PB on an unsupported OS or stay in an unsupported version of PB for long time.  The development team would keep adding new code/new features over time, so just cause it works today doesn't mean it will work tomorrow.  The same goes for future Windows updates potentially not jiving well.  Historically windows updates has not been a big problem, but with Windows 10 things may not be as slow-moving as before.

But I get that you are serving a niche market and if you can't move people off of Windows XP then it is what it is.  Since PB 2017 is based on the PB 12.6 code base I think if you have no problems with PB 12.5 on XP then PB 2017 (for your particular app and usage of PB features) should also be fine on XP.

Thank you Armeen, very helpful. I was just worried that given your page https://www.appeon.com/products/powerbuilder-version-comparison.html, where it shows 12.6 as certified for XP and 2017 as not certified for it, that you might have chosen to start using some Windows API functions that were only added after XP.

Armeen Mazda's picture

No, you should be good, but with the caveat that the new features added could be possibly be problematic, such as the new RichTextEdit, NativePDF, Standalone Compiler, Mobile Cloud Apps, and new licensing mechanism (SySAM relacement).  We have not tested on Windows XP so I can't tell you if or which of the new features will have problems.  Give it a spin and let us know.  Thanks!

I'm not developing on XP (I should hope not!), just letting users install our apps on it, so several of the things in that list don't apply, like licensing. We only use the new RTE in one internal-only app. So the only issue for potential XP users is the new NativePDF, and I just tested it and it works fine.

Armeen Mazda's picture

Great, glad to hear that!