1. Joy Gupta
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 16 October 2023 23:12 PM UTC

Hi,

We are migrating from PB 2017 to PB 2022. My app uses Excel for data download and PDF for creating reports. 

Right now we are using Excel  2013 64 bit and Adobe at runtime on Windows 2016 server. We use Excel12 DLL's for Excel integration in code.

On user PC we gradually moved from Office 2013 to 2016 and now Office 365, and no issues so far.

Now we are upgrading to PB 2022, so for that i want to make sure:

1. Is office 365 64bit compatible with PB 2022? PB being 32 bit..

2. What DLL's would be needed for either Office 2019 or Office 365? I mean for development code.

3.  Would users be still ok using office 365?

Thanks,

Joy

Who is viewing this page
Joy Gupta Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 17 October 2023 02:31 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the clarification. Last time when we migrated from PB 10 to PB 2017, we had to update the DLL's from 'Excel8' to 'Excel12' thus i wanted to understand if there were a different version of Excel DLLs we have to use. If its same then we are good. I did find the Excel12 Dlls in the folder.

Background: We have a PB frontend with Oracle backend Finance app. As mentioned before, it uses excel for data download and upload and PDF for Report generation. Its deployed on Windows server and user access it via Citrix platform.

For PDF i found the info, PDF Builder object change - - Upgrading PowerBuilder Applications (appeon.com)

but nothing was mentioned anywhere about Excel so came here to check with experts :)

I am the release manager and getting all facts/links  together for the Development team so no time is wasted.

Thanks for the quick response!

Joy

Comment
  1. Joy Gupta
  2. Tuesday, 17 October 2023 14:00 PM UTC
I have checked the DLL loaded post 2022 install and they also have Excel12 DLLs only, nothing more upgraded. If Excel12 is giving the ability to saveas .xlxs then we should be fine on the said DLL's only right..
  1. Helpful
  1. Andreas Mykonios
  2. Tuesday, 17 October 2023 14:13 PM UTC
Those dll's have nothing to do with excel itself and office. They are independent. You can save a datawindow to xls or xlsx even in a pc without office or excel. Office version may affect your application if: 1) you are using some program included in office using OLE, 2) you are using mapi to send mail.

Andreas.
  1. Helpful 2
  1. Joy Gupta
  2. Tuesday, 17 October 2023 14:23 PM UTC
ah ok, thanks for the clarification!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 17 October 2023 00:30 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

"We use Excel12 DLL's for Excel integration in code."

actually, in that case you are not integrating with excel.  You are simply writing out to excel format files.  In other words, you aren't using excel at all.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 16 October 2023 23:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Joy;

Your App's "should" be ok but with any changes, you really need to fully test these pieces in "your" environment to be 100% sure.

1. The PB IDE is 32 bit but PB App EXE's can be deployed in either 32 or 64 bit.
  2. For OLE nothing but, you don't describe the actual interface(s) that your App is using.
  3. See my opening remarks.

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.